1948 Packard Custom Eight Fastback

Jason forwarded this to me.  It needs to be on here.   Two points:   1.  It has the big engine. 2.  These are rare as hen's teeth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234922902375

1948 Packard Custom 8 Club Fastback Sedan.  Very Rare model with the 356 CI 9 main bearing engine.  Packard’s Top of the line car for that year.  Only few remain to be seen.  Very good condition.  Interior mostly original.  Paint updated many years ago.  Inside doors remain untouched.  Overdrive unit works fine.  Car runs great even at highway speeds.  Car is just a pleasure to drive. Headliner was updated correctly several years ago.  Rust free car that came from New Mexico.  A great find for a collector. 

Picture 2 of 22

Picture 4 of 22

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John Bloom said:

Great car. These top of the line Packards just a year or two outside of the CCCA cutoff year always seem to sell for what looks like a bargain to me. It will be interesting to see what this brings. 

John, as a 1948 I think it qualifies as a full Classic?

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

The correct shadow cloth seats and fore and aft headliner seams are a big deal.  This is a very fine car.  Strange to put it on E-Bay.

Somewhere in another thread I think it was mentioned it was in the car corral at Hershey?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

John, as a 1948 I think it qualifies as a full Classic?

A.J.: 

Except for the restyle, the 1948-'50 Custom Eights are part and parcel exactly the same cars as the 1942, 1946-'47 Custom Super Clippers.  

Steve

• Like 1

Key here - to me - is the senior Custom 8 adds wheelbase which helps the Club Sedan (aka Fastback) look in better proportion.  

I don’t mind the smaller wheelbase Fastback but this looks good. I’ve only noticed 4-5 of them in my 44 years of looking. (I’m 59). 

• Like 1