help to decode a 20 era buick

bodyman36

If you post the chassis number the year can be determined easily. If there is a firewall id plate then more can be derived from it. At a glance at the car, if the rear hubs have only 6 bolts, then it is one of the larger Master models. Photos are always helpful. 

The early Fisher Body cars with bad wood turn into "Labor of Love Projects"  You need to start with the determination to work through the problems you will encounter.   Unless you do most of the work yourself you will be shortly "Underwater" with the cost.  Best wishes with your new Buick.

• Like 3

Your tag reads 23 - 48.  That means the car is a 1923 , Model 48. The last year for the  " cage valve " style engine. Head is non - detachable . One piece head and cylinder block. The valves are mounted in  small , seperate casting's that can be individualy removed. Also last year for rear wheel only brakes. 

1924 had many changes, 4 wheel brakes, detachable head . 

As far as the body wood is concerned, no one makes kits. Your best bet is to get the Fisher Body manual for that year and approximate it. The wood top is relatively easy because it has little to no affect on anything else, like how the doors hang, etc.

That's a super cool car and I'm jealous.

the car has sat in a warehouse and was given to me, i have several other old cars and i just enjoy the peace time of working on them i grabbed a 1922 chemlers touring several years ago sitting in a dust covered warehouse as well  i just didnt know if there was anybody who made the wood kits to replace the rot in this one

• Like 1