Artillery Wheel Chrome Plating

Looking to get a set of Artillery Wheels Chrome plated. The center spoked section gets the chrome while the outer rim is painted …. Often in body color. And the centers appeqr to be riveted to the outer rim. 

Do the center sections need to be removed, plated, and somehow re-riveted back into the outer rim on some kind of ‘jig’ so the outer remains concentric? Hoping to find someone who has had this done ………

10027BCB-3005-466C-96E0-B6CEB38BC84A.jpeg

F208B38A-27F7-4037-8C7D-74A406FDCB4A.jpeg

The car pictured at the top doesn’t have chrome artillery wheels. Stude and Pierce used Budd Stainless wheels for two or three years, and that is what you are seeing. You can’t chrome standard wheels, as the chrome won’t throw in the tank.

• Like 1

Thanks Rex …… was hoping you might see this. Can you recommend any particular club members I could talk to about how the centers are removed ? I looked closer today at the back side. The centers are Welded not riveted ???

image.jpeg.ca3f323bca086b908ddb775c5aaa9a05.jpeg

Cant immediately see what the function of these threaded studs are either …. There are 3 of them around the rim

image.jpeg.88100e335d27f0122ee791cd16b9391a.jpeg

There are no rivet heads ot fastener heads of any kind that I can see on the inside edge of the rim (where the innertube would sit inside the tire). So they (spoked centers) were chromed and then somehow welded to the outer rim before being painted ?? How was the chrome plating not damaged during welding?

Sorry for the 20 questions ……

Andy

the flat head st.heads are onn the outside od the rim--under neath the tire--did you find the nuts ?? they're onn the backside of the center where it would bolt on--turn the nuts it may help break the rust loose around the heads--Tom  P/M me if you have more questions--

dad had his 32 wheels plated years ago. Each spoke had one csk head machine screw in it, iirc about 4 inches long, slotted head, held by a nut inside the hub. He broke a few and I was looking for suitable replacements, until he found some extra wheels we were able to steal some bolts out of. 20221026_104454.jpg.0cd8ec3a382ab9daf22652d114e1a49f.jpg

• Like 1

Still not sure what I have here …. But I found another clue in the bright sunlight. Found a blind ‘head’ on the inside face of the rim. These ‘fasteners’ dont seem to have any slot, sunken hex (cap head) or any other means of holding/turning. The other end of each one is inside a ‘cap / plate’ behind each spoke ( see previous post ). I am going to soak one rim in rust remover and see if I can get a better idea how to access the fastener ‘head’ or ‘nut’

image.jpeg.8c87a280f22e58833dd71ef1df389180.jpeg

I still havent found any numbers anywhere on the rim assembly but I did find what appears to be a ‘makers mark’. This one was on the wheel mounting surface inside the spoke center:

image.jpeg.10d92720a879629d4a722c86f90b7322.jpeg

And here is another mark on the inside of the wheel rim:

image.jpeg.5da016a5ff659af237a8ad9fe3ff4358.jpeg

Does anyone recognize either of these ‘Makers Marks’ ???

Andy

Still not sure what I have here …. But I found another clue in the bright sunlight. Found a blind ‘head’ on the inside face of the rim. These ‘fasteners’ dont seem to have any slot, sunken hex (cap head) or any other means of holding/turning. The other end of each one is inside a ‘cap / plate’ behind each spoke ( see previous post ). I am going to soak one rim in rust remover and see if I can get a better idea how to access the fastener ‘head’ or ‘nut’

I still havent found any numbers anywhere on the rim assembly but I did find what appears to be a ‘makers mark’. This one was on the wheel mounting surface inside the spoke center:

Andy

Rex,

yep, I was thinking a out chroming the entire wheel but the platers locally I have talked to so far say that without specific tanks and equipmemt for wheels they dont plate correctly. But I have just begun to get serious about searching so we shall see …..

For separating the spoke centers from the rims heres what I have foumd so far:

My set of 5 are those ‘mystery wheels’ with the makers marks ( see above ) and the backside of the spoakes are ‘covered’.

image.jpeg.2d2afea43815ab9fa3b83824be76350e.jpeg

I bought a 6th wheel ( its a dual sidemount car ) and its acually a BUDD wheel. The backside of the spokes on this one is ‘open’

image.jpeg.32b107a0ce4b52e495cb9a1214787388.jpeg

Fasteners (rivet head on the BUDD wheel) on the ‘set of 5’ and the Budd both have that ‘flathead’ shown in the post above. If anyone knows the ‘trick’ to exposing the ‘set of 5’ fasteners I would greatly appreciate it

Andy

The wheels on the smaller cars had more spokes, and are not as wide.   The smaller wheels were about 4 1/4 wide.  The Commander was a bit wider,  ( check serial numbers )  and the President was the widest.  The spokes are held with a huge rivet, the other models used a stud and nut.   The first one pictured has a small 'plate' concealing the rivet.

A small, sharp chisel will remove the 'plate'    Those are very hard to work on. 

artilary wheel 040.jpg

• Like 1

Yikes ……. I thought that might be the case but had no proof till you posted that picture. 14 spokes per wheel times 5 wheels ….. Thats a bunch of plates (70) to remove 🙄. Seems like I need to search even harder for a plater who doesnt need the centers removed. Hard to imagine the wheel maker ( still dont know who made these) plated the centers, installed rivets, and then welded on those ‘spoke cover plates’ without damaging the chrome! Not sure there was a TIG process equivalent available 90 years ago ??

Anyway, thanks a bunch for posting Mike 👍

• 3 weeks later...