Old tools almost nobody (else) uses anymore

Crusty Trucker

No need to watch a video if you want to travel a few hours north. If you come to our Corvair swap and car display in Fredericksburg on April 15 at the Classic Car Center I'm sure Russell will be there showing off his tools.:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Jack Bennett said:

The little oil can which travels in a wire rack attached to the firewall of my 1923 Dodge Brothers Roadster. This little can, fitted with a long spout, appears to be a oiler, and this seems to be appropriate considering the car also has a Alemite grease gun included in the tool roll.

However, the can is intended to hold about a pint of gasoline, used to fill the engine primer ports, and is necessary for starting the engine after it has been shut down for a long period of time.

I learned something - thanks!  I always thought an "oil" can on the firewall was strange as there's not much underhood that needs to, or can, be oiled that way.  But a can for primer gas makes sense.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:31 PM, arcticbuicks said:

I dont need a little bottle of outside door lock 'De-icer" anymore and the gas stations stopped selling them ....just hit 'unlock' on the key fob

...until the fob and/or car battery fails.  🤣

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well that is funny.. i did use ALL of these tools within the last 4 weeks or so.. except for that sun distributor tester, which i unfortunately do not own yet. It is very hard to find one that could be shipped to germany. 

Besides i did repair 3 classic "Sun Performance testers" including the one i own. They had electronic issues (capacitors, soldering joints) but when working are very much appreciated.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

A few more photos. Armature commentator segment cutter. Anyone ever seen another like it? 

IMG_5963.JPG

IMG_5972.JPG

IMG_5973.JPG

yup i have one of those too, from an old fellow cleaning out his shed.  its unreal how handy it is for the mica undercutting.  i hated going over every groove with a hacksaw blade.  this tool is way easier on my fingers and patience.

terry

• Like 1