1949 ROADMASTER HOOD

autonut

Wondering if anyone has installed gas lifts on the massive heavy hood on the '49 which is a one piece hood.  No woman could ever lift the hood and much less get the hood arm which is always on the other side to hold it in place.  I am not a woman but a 92 year old male and it is a chore for me just to check the oil or whatever.  This is surely a worthy endeavor and hopefully someone has previously address it.

Would like to hear from you ~~

• Like 1

Hello autonut,, i will contact my  Sacramento  Buick friend, he is     incredible  and can  repair  and even makes his own 

hard to obtain  classic  car parts----is well known  to BCA for  award winning  Buicks,  and i think   he still has his  49  Roadmaster hard top,

and 48 convertible,, but it may take a few days,  as he travels  out of state    now days.

A photo of his 49---i-dont thick he will mind,---he may have given it to his  son.---just look at the detail.

I will get  his   contact number for you----soon.-----thank you.

007.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:17 PM, autonut said:

No woman could ever lift the hood and much less get the hood arm which is always on the other side to hold it in place.

We have owned a lot of Buicks and I don't think my wife has ever opened the hood on one. She did break the tri-sheild off my '94 Roadmaster with a snow brush in the dark one morning. She was cleaning it off to pull it over by the back steps so I wouldn't have to walk through the deep snow to leave for work.

She is pretty good at using the trunk. And you can figure out who has the camera.

002.jpg.27586d652db4f7d5cadc8f34ca546d65.jpg

Ok, here was my solutions. On my 51 convert I purchased a 53 hood and hinges from French Lake auto parts in Mn. I reworked the 51 hood. It was a little bit of messing around and fitting the hinges but works well. I had to remove the under side braces from the 53 and weld them to the 51 hood 

essentially I upgraded the 51 to a 53 front opening,

On my 52 woodie I put in four linear actuators that raises the hood straight up 24” that was pretty easy and I have four separate toggle switches so I can adjust the closing at the four corners.

I hate the side opening hoods, nothing worse than having the heavy hood come loose from the opposite side clamps and ruining a new paint job.

I posted a video of the hood operating a couple of years ago.

If I planned to re-hinge a large hood for ease of opening I would consider a set up like my 1986 Park Ave.

It lifts straight up when you unlatch it. Then easily pivots with one hand to bring it forward.  I have seen the modification on a late '40s Packard.

082.jpg.6cd2c474ef83b7069f7ca4ad1bc915db.jpg

car27.jpg.7a897bbe40e440533088d89e832deaf7.jpg

• Like 1