Model A Ford dealer tag

60ch

On 2/17/2023 at 11:44 AM, 1937hd45 said:

Was that the 3415th Ford the dealership sold? Did it use the same rivets as the tag on the engine side? 

Bob 

Bob, as I recall they were drive in rivets. I removed the tag in 1965 as I was planning on repairing a manifold heater hole in the firewall and painting it.  Got side tracked with Vietnam and later repaired the heater hole and anything else that was not supposed to be there. I lost the Bauer tag and filled in the holes. About 10 years ago I found the tag but could not determine where the original holes were. Regarding the number of Model As sold by Bauer Ford, my car is an March 1930 model. Not counting 1927 models, there would have been approximately 27 months of production from 1929 to march of1930. That would be a lot of Fords for a dealer to sell in approximately 2 years and 3 months. Maybe they started the numbering at 3000? 

Terry

• Like 1

I am sure I found this tag at an antique show.        I have a lot of Ford collectibles and the rule of thumb is........if the "Ford" script  is in an oval then it Model "A"  or later.     This tag is confusing no oval and Model A.       I think the tags  were made locally.      Gary

2 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I bet they also sold Model T's before selling the Model A's. Attaching these tags to the Fords they sold could go back to the teens or earlier. Who said these had to be Model A specific?

Hi Dave, The tag says Model A in the lower left corner just below the rivet hole. It is in a darker area of the picture.

Terry

12 hours ago, 60ch said:

Hi Dave, The tag says Model A in the lower left corner just below the rivet hole. It is in a darker area of the picture.

Terry

I saw that, But still, Who says the number sold has to be all Model A's?  

On 2/19/2023 at 12:15 PM, 60ch said:

Bob, as I recall they were drive in rivets. I removed the tag in 1965 as I was planning on repairing a manifold heater hole in the firewall and painting it.  Got side tracked with Vietnam and later repaired the heater hole and anything else that was not supposed to be there. I lost the Bauer tag and filled in the holes. About 10 years ago I found the tag but could not determine where the original holes were. Regarding the number of Model As sold by Bauer Ford, my car is an March 1930 model. Not counting 1927 models, there would have been approximately 27 months of production from 1929 to march of1930. That would be a lot of Fords for a dealer to sell in approximately 2 years and 3 months. Maybe they started the numbering at 3000? 

Terry

On 2/21/2023 at 6:30 AM, Dandy Dave said:

I saw that, But still, Who says the number sold has to be all Model A's?  

On 2/21/2023 at 5:37 PM, 60ch said:

Dave,  I can only go by what the tag says.  Model A No 3415

Doing the math, 3415 cars over 27 months averages out to just over 4 cars a day...every day.  Maybe not impossible but a pretty good sales record, especially since 5 of those months were after the Wall Street Crash.  If it was 415 cars, that's about one every other day - still not a bad average.  But why would they start numbering at 3000?  Why not 1000 or 2000 or 10000?  I'd guess yours was the 3415th car sold since the opening of the dealership sometime before the Model A.  It would be interesting to find a tag that says Model T No XXXX.  Ford didn't like its dealers selling other makes but if Bauer did, those cars also might be included in the total (Chevrolet No XXXX tag 😁).

In any case, it's interesting.  I've never run across anything similar on a Model  A.  I doubt it was factory authorized.  Since it was on the firewall interior, it wouldn't be much good for advertising - maybe for warranty identification or some such.