Buckeye Deluxe Bumper

190bear

This is the bumper on my 1926 Chrysler 60 coupe. The rear bumperettes have the same treatment. Was it the whole bumper or just the chrome  and mounting brackets? Was it a dealer or aftermarket option? Like a lot of things, I've never seen anything like it before

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

Those are really nice bumpers from the era! And matching front and rear sets are really tough to find! 

I don't know what year Chrysler began offering bumpers as an option, or what those options may have been. Many automakers offered a few makes of bumpers as factory options, and sometimes the make of bumper might vary with the model of the car. Those Buckeye bumpers were among the best! And best looking.

The bumper itself was painted black. The nickel pieces (about three feet centered on the two bumper bars) were just thin strips nickel plated and partially held in place by the clamps that attach the bumper bars to the chassis mounting brackets.

If you look closely at the photos, there are two little decorative bolts with tall oval heads placed midway between the center clamp and the bracket clamps nearer to the ends of the nickel strips on the bumper bars. These are painted black on 190bear's Chrysler, and nickel plated on Bob A's Buick. If I recall correctly, these also hold the nickel strips in place (with a nut on the backside of the bumper bar?). They keep the strips from working their way out and also help hold them together to make assembly onto the car easier.

I see these bumpers on a lot of Buick automobiles from the mid 1920s. Speculation, but they might have been a factory authorized after-market accessory for Buick. I have seen them on a lot of other cars as well. They were available for pretty much any car!

• Like 1

I had a set of Buckeye bumpers to put on my 1925 Buick. The brackets were problematic since they were to fit I believe and Overland or such. I bought a set from a 1927 Buick Standard (Wolverine make). The bars are one thing but specific bracket applications are a must.

DSCF1291.JPG.37a2b4ab0e2c0d092d8811ad4625d9be.JPG 

The day after I got her home without bumpers in Oct 2011.

DSCF7573.JPG.bcb141625d1ac37703b04437ea7a4139.JPG

2020 after some work being done and the powder coated bumper. To me these cars just look better with bumpers.

DSC00741.JPG.19ba2c9c38bf605007a99d21271bc341.JPG A Chrysler roadster on a recient tour.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

Admiring the great job on the custom paint job(red,black,silver) on the two brackets.

Question: I would like to do the same and assume you did the custom paint work with the brackets removed. How do you remove them?  It seems like I would need to compress the top and lower bumpers to remove the brackets to paint and then do the same to reinstall?

Thanks

TomFrontBumperbracket1.jpg.c9b9d7ca0af7d06f694bc076b40cc311.jpgFrontBumperbracket2.jpg.528d8a39c826153335046fa6341548e2.jpg