1931 Dodge db8 $29,500 (not mine)

Impressive! Not many Dodge 8s out there. Seems like this would be a little like a Marmon Roosevelt.

Manufactured briefly, not a big following today, so probably not going to sell for this price, no matter how nice it is. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

Impressive! Not many Dodge 8s out there. Seems like this would be a little like a Marmon Roosevelt.

Manufactured briefly, not a big following today, so probably not going to sell for this price, no matter how nice it is. 

Unfortunately I think Leif is correct. 

6 hours ago, bob duffer said:

What would be a top comfortable speed for this car ?

My DeSoto is an 8 and at 45mph it is doing about 2500 rpm. on the sun tach. 

At that rpm with a 4" stroke the piston speeds are pretty high. You could probably run up to 3000 rpm long term without much problem if your engine is in good to excellent condition. I'm guessing that would put you in the 50 to 55 mph range. 

That engine would have a 4.25" stroke so it's still long. I'm guessing that it would still have differential gearing in the 4.90 range which will limit top speeds. 

19 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

Leif:

Comparable ~$1,000 eight-cylinder contemporaries would be Buick 50, Oldsmobile Eight L, Studebaker Dictator Eight 62, Nash Eight 970, Willys 8-80D, Hudson Standard Greater Eight.  There were also a number of good ~$1,000 six-cylinder choices within the same wheelbase and engine size range.  It was a tough time to be a dealer for any of these makes.

Although the Marmon Roosevelt, by then Marmon 70, you mentioned was in the $1K price range, its wheelbase and engine size were substantially smaller than its competitors.

Steve

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 1:34 PM, E-116-YH said:

Hello Leif,

In my opinion you don't know what you are talking about, I have four Dodge Brothers Eight-in-line cars. They are much more roomy then a Marmon Roosevelt. As far as manufactured briefly, they built the Dodge Brothers eights for four years. 

Similar to the Marmon in market position. I agree that the Dodge has some superior features. 

I do think the seller will have difficulty achieving this price, but I certainly could be wrong. 

On 2/10/2023 at 6:17 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

Leif:

Comparable ~$1,000 eight-cylinder contemporaries would be Buick 50, Oldsmobile Eight L, Studebaker Dictator Eight 62, Nash Eight 970, Willys 8-80D, Hudson Standard Greater Eight.  There were also a number of good ~$1,000 six-cylinder choices within the same wheelbase and engine size range.  It was a tough time to be a dealer for any of these makes.

Although the Marmon Roosevelt, by then Marmon 70, you mentioned was in the $1K price range, its wheelbase and engine size were substantially smaller than its competitors.

Steve

Thanks Steve

I always appreciate your fact filled analysis! As you say, it was a very competitive market segment and between 1931 and 1932, five thousand banks failed. Unemployment was on it's way to a record 24.9%. Modern safety nets didn't exist. It's amazing anybody was looking for an impressive new car.