1955 Fordomatic ATF recommendation

Lars Kneller

I hate to start an internet argument here, but Type F was not introduced until the mid 1960's. Ford transmissions before then used Type A, which has been replaced by Dexron. My 1956 Continental has a Turbodrive transmission, which was entirely built by Ford. The shop manual calls for Type A.

• Like 1

It's a rabbit hole, and there is no clear answer.

The original factory recommendation was Type A. Around 1963 the transmission fluid we would later come to know as Type F was introduced. Ford recommended this new Ford-specific fluid retroactively to the first Ford automatics, superseding Type A.

Some folks I know have a 1954 Ford that has been in the family since new. In the late 1980s, when it had about 60K miles on it, they changed the transmission fluid as maintenance. They used type F. The transmission stopped working. I don't recall exactly what the problem was. After a second change to Dexron II it was working fine. It still works normally as far as I know, though they rarely drive it today. That's a sample size of one, so make of it what you will. Your mileage may vary.

If I had to make the call, I would use Dexron II or Dexron III equivalent fluid for doing a complete change. I think Type F would be fine if just topping up.

• Like 2

The clear answer is in the Owners manual. If it says Type A, then Dex/Merc III, Dexron III or similar is what you need. No need for Dexron VI, that is a synthetic that is the new Dexron formula for newer GM cars.

8 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

No need for Dexron VI,

I would avoid Dexron VI.  It is 'slipperier' than Dexron III.  I changed the ATF in my Silverado's transfer case using Dexron VI and the synchros stopped working.  I would worry about the same effect with clutches and bands...