Please help. Buick GS 400 stage 1

kyoawa

Hey all, I want to apologize in advance for my ignorance regarding this topic. My stepfather just passed away and he had a 1969 hard top gran sport stage 1, I know it has matching numbers because he would always state it. I cannot get pictures at the moment due to location but i can give details based on the last time I saw it. The exterior needs work, the yellow paint is cracking but there was no visible rust. The inside is also not in the best of shape with some holes in upholstery etc. Its dent free and I believe less than 30k miles. I cannot say for certain it starts. How do i go about pricing it? Figuratively if the engine needed to be rebuilt and the interior/exterior was like a 5/10 with the 30000 miles what would be a good start? Due to the rarity of the car, comps are very difficult to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Please - as soon as you can, find a way to provide Photos and more detail rather than just what you remember or might have been told years ago.  Plenty of help here if you give folks more to work with.  As you describe it, it's in need of total restoration.  With just 30k miles I'd expect it to be in better condition, unless it's been poorly stored. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/191-buick-gran-sport-gs/

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/2-buick/

Check with the folks in Buickland. They'll understand this car whereas a lot of people have no idea what a GS is, much less one equipped with Stage 1.

The great advantage you have is that Buick midsize performance cars weren't subjected to near as much indignity as Chevy and Pontiac versions.

• Like 1

"Old Cars Report Price Guide" is issued 6 times a year

in magazine format.  It may be available on news stands.

It's a widely used guide, and rates cars in conditions

1 through 6--from a trailered award winner to a derelict

good only for parts.  Your car may be #4 in their ratings.

https://report.oldcarsweekly.com/

There are certainly good and helpful people on this forum.

They are reluctant to put a value on something without 

seeing ample pictures, because mere words such as "good"

or "needs work" may be interpreted differently even between

knowledgeable car fans.

When you see prices of other examples, pay attention only

to "sold" prices, such as those on Ebay.  Some sellers may 

ask ludicrous amounts for cars, even double their true value,

and give a totally unrealistic picture of the hobby.

All the best to you with the car!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Check with the folks in Buickland. They'll understand this car...

I think Glenn is pointing you toward the Buick categories

on this AACA Forum.  If you scroll down the list of topics,

you'll find several Buick categories.

But now I see you've already found the "Buick GS" category.

That's good.  You may get more expertise from the Buick fans

who will especially notice your posting there.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

What do you mean by want them all ?  Are there other cars besides the GS ?  I owned a 1969 GS 400 for many years. Great car , but mine was not a Stage 1. They lagged prices of Chevelle SS 396 cars by quite a bit for decades. But very similar cars except sheet metal styling and  Buick engine vs Chevy engine.

I am out of touch on what they are worth curently, but obviously the Stage 1 engine makes the car quite a bit more desirable to some buyers.

For decades they were worth 1/2  or less { non Stage car } than a SS396 in similar codition but that rule of thumb may have changed in the last 5 years or so.

My GS was a favorite of my wife for years, she drove it more than I did.  But she has a Mustang convertable now so I doubt she wants another GS.

Also if it has been sitting for years it may not have had hard valve seats installed. My GS hated unleaded gas when it replaced leaded , and adding octane booster was a pain in the butt. That is why my GS was taken out of regular use and eventually deteriorated from lack of use and poor storage.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I'm an Oldsmobile guy and I like the "stepchildren"! 

I'm weird about the 68-70 GM A-bodies. I like 68 and 70 Chevelles but can't (and never could) stand the 69. Same with the Cutlass, though I can tolerate the 69. Wouldn't own one... I like 68-69 Tempest but I think the 70 looks overweight.

Come to think of it the Skylark is the only one I like all three years!

• Like 1