Differential Gear Oil Recommendations for my 1957

1957buickjim

Tractor Supply sells a GL-3 that’s marketed for older Ford tractors.  I’m using it in my older GM transmissions and rear ends as it is safe for brass bushings. Also it’s a lot cheaper than Sta-Lube. Not that there’s anything wrong with that brand. I’ve used them too.

• Thanks 1

On the other hand . . . check the factory service manual for what they spec'd when the car was new, GL-rating and viscosity.  Then go from there.  You can also research the lube company websites to see which ones might fit the OEM recommendations.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 1

GL-4 is oil for hypoid gears. GL-5 is heavier duty oil for hypoid gears. Either should be fine in a hypoid rear axle from 1957.

Old time wisdom suggests GL-5 should be avoided if there are brass or bronze parts. Today you should really read the datasheeet for the oil if there are brass or bronze parts, because a lot of time has passed and the old "rule" has too many exceptions. There are probably no brass or bronze parts in a USA-built hypoid rear axle from 1957.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All that is listed in the 1957 Buick Chassis manual I found at www.hometownbuick.com mentioned an "MIL-2105" spec.  Wikipedia had some informaiton on it, but I ended up in the Valvoline website.  Any lube brand which can be aligned with current model OEMs in lubes and such, will have either "High Performance" or "FullSynthetic" gear oils.  I chose the non-syn lube.  

From the way the application information read, GL-4 and GL-5 can be used in rear axles (i.e., hypoid), but GL-5 should not be used in transmissions which are "synchromesh", which means no GL-5 for brass items as shims and synchronizers.  GL-5, it seems, has more EP additives which make it slicker and can interfere with how the synchros work.

So, absent the GL ratings, look for rear axle lubes (i.e., hypoid gears) which include EP additives for wear protection.  90W.  Although many will be 80W-90.  Items suitable for manual transmission gears should mention that usage, too.

Might also seek out non-syn oils, too, for good measure.  In the case of engines, some syn oils can degrade the rubber lip seals, over time, so staying with non-syn hypoid gear oils might be advisable.

Take care,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, so far I'm going with the GL-4 that EmTee recommended. It looks like that type of hypoid oil is recommended in the Chassis Manual. There isn't any ATF in the rear end, as I replaced all the seals (torque ball and shaft) on the transmission when I installed it. It was also rebuilt by Jim Hughes, so it should be good!

Thanks all for the recommendations and research

Edited by 1957buickjim (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1