1936 Buick Special Sedan

CT Car Guy

I am looking at an unrestored 1936 Buick sedan, It seems to be in good condition.  My plan is to drive and enjoy it.  I think it would be HPOF compliant. I have 2 questions: The car has a 4.44 rear end gear ration. Would I be able to cruise at 55 ore 60 without over straining the motor? 2. What are parts availability?

Than you in advance for your time in helping me make my decision. Larry in CT

Hi Larry.  I love the look of the ‘36.  First, that car would cruise well at 50.  55 is no problem; 60 is pushing it.  The car is probably capable of 75 but that engine would be spinning at about 3700.  No one would recommend this, it might even take a downhill run to get there.

Of course replacement wood is not available but a good many parts are.  An engine rebuild  might get difficult as the rods are babbitt.  If it’s running now, I wouldn’t mess with.  Maybe just check compression ratio.  

Here’s a warning for you.  You should expect to have to deal with fuel tank, line and pump issues.  The entire brake system will need inspected and probably a lot of replacement. The wiring will likely be on the brink of rotten and the radiator is known to clog up and cause overheating.  When that is all fixed, the ride will be rough, perhaps pleasing to you but the wife may not agree.  

• Like 2

Thanks Joel. I've collecting cars for year and had as many as six. I sold all but one modern sports car when I became ill.I'm looking for something to tinker with and drive, not really show. I will have to take a good look at it. There is a '38 (unfortunately) has modern engine and trans but may be the low maintenance I need since I am limited physically. Always loved the cars of the 30's to 40's, plus late 50's (love fins) and some 60'\s. My last car was  '56 Thunderbird.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

CarGuy, i`ve had my `36 40 series coupe approx, 9yr, it was totally disassembled, and everything piled inside. I learned rather quickly, nothing fits a `36 but a `36, and is almost 100% true. The 4.44 gears, that`s it nothing else, and they are spiral cut gears, `37 went to hypoid gears, will not work in the `36. Tail lights are about impossible to find. Dave Tacheny is just about the only source for used parts. Is it a 2 or 4 door sedan, post some pictures if possible, we like pictures. If the car was garage kept the wood may still be fairly solid, otherwise not. If the doors are sagging and don`t fit the body right, belt-line not lined/sagging, it needs new wood. No one makes wood, i had to do mine myself. The `36 doors are bad about the bottom 5-6inches rotted. Open the door, grab it at the top, opposite the hinge side, and shake it back and forth and see if its rigid or loose. The `37 and `38s are all steel. Good luck..

• Like 3

CT Car Guy: I'd suggest you strongly consider the '38 with the modern running gear....if the work has been well done. From all you've written in your posts, the '38 might give you the driving/cruising experience you seem to be after, without the mechanical servicing issues. Plus, no wood in the '38 body, which is a real benefit. Good luck in your search. John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CT Car Guy said:

I am looking at an unrestored 1936 Buick sedan, It seems to be in good condition.  My plan is to drive and enjoy it.  I think it would be HPOF compliant. I have 2 questions: The car has a 4.44 rear end gear ration. Would I be able to cruise at 55 ore 60 without over straining the motor? 2. What are parts availability?

If the car is in good condition, it would be suitable for the type of use that you are talking about as long as you are not looking for long term freeway cruising. I personally prefer 1937 to 1936 in the small series Buicks as they do not have the body wood found in a 1936 (which is a little bit funny to be coming from a guy who owns a 1937 Roadmaster which is the last year of body wood for the large series cars) I would also suggest you check out the 36-38 Buick Club.  http://www.3638buickclub.org/ and consider joining. If you will send me a private message with your email address, I will be happy to email you a sample .pdf copy of a recent 36-38 Buick Club newsletter. If you are interested in considering a slightly newer Buick, there are a couple of 1940 Specials and a 1941 Super advertised in the most recent issue. 

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2022 at 10:12 AM, CT Car Guy said:

Hell No