1907? Maxwell headlamps

BaileyfromFlorida

I'm trying to identify the year and model of these head lamps.  They are very similar to the 1907 Maxwells but the hinges (that could have been replaced) as well as a small portion of the side appear to be different.  Anyone know what they came off of?  There are no markings of any kind visible on them but does appear that there was at one time writing on the center of the back but not visible enough to distinctively make out any of it.  Thanks.  Also any guideline on where to research price or other lamps from the era would be appreciated.   

Screenshot_20221125-003955_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221125-140559_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221125-140602_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221125-140605_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221125-140608_Gallery.jpg

059A8078.JPG

These look to be steel lamps that have been painted gold. Is this correct ?

Most automobile lamps from this era are brass.

The steel lamps are usually off either a very inexpensive car or a teens truck. I suspect these are probably off a smaller  truck, roughly 1910 - early 1920's.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Ford lamps look similar, but the bonnet would be stamped with brand name and Ford, could be Victor or Corcoran and think they are newer by few years then 1907, maybe mid teens. Those companies also made the same lamps but without Ford stamped on the bonnet that were sold to other companies and as generic replacements.  

Except for weight, did you try sticking a magnet to the body? The bonnet and rim would still be brass with steel body. 

• Like 1

Mark G is probably on it! Specifically, they look like 1913 or 1914 ford headlamps. Double check the main body of the lamp with a magnet. The Ford (and most after-market replacements) had steel main bodies and brass rims and top/chimney. Some after-market replacements did have brass bodies as they were sold to replace lamps for many midsize automobiles, and some people still wanted brass lamps. 1912 and earlier Ford headlamps were mostly all brass.

Ford used headlamps from a few manufacturers for 1913 and 1914, and models of lamps changed often through those two years. Minor variations in almost all parts varied considerably. The lamps themselves are fairly common. Finding two that actually match can be tough!

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Mark G is probably on it! Specifically, they look like 1913 or 1914 ford headlamps. Double check the main body of the lamp with a magnet. The Ford (and most after-market replacements) had steel main bodies and brass rims and top/chimney. Some after-market replacements did have brass bodies as they were sold to replace lamps for many midsize automobiles, and some people still wanted brass lamps. 1912 and earlier Ford headlamps were mostly all brass.

Ford used headlamps from a few manufacturers for 1913 and 1914, and models of lamps changed often through those two years. Minor variations in almost all parts varied considerably. The lamps themselves are fairly common. Finding two that actually match can be tough!

Thank you.  This seems like a great way to check.  I edited my comment as I was sure they were brass but after someone pointed out the lightness of them compared to the steel ones we have may be due to not having the mirrors in them and definitely newer glass on the front.

Certainly not Ford or Maxwell. They resemble Victor lamps. Probably aftermarket intended for commercial use. Could even be post 1915. Gas lamps are shown as available in some of my early accessory catalogs well into the late teens.

Terry

Buick used Corcoran lamps. Later they merged with Victor,(dates uncertain). but the lamps Buick used during that time frame was combination steel and brass front door and bonnets.

Terry