Car Club Declining Membership

MarkV

I would say probably yes.  The biggest change in disposable income is the huge increase in tax burden placed on taxpayers.  One data point would be social security taxes. 

1963-1965 remem3.625% on first $4,800,   2022 Employee 7.65% on Social Security tax on first   $147,000.  And that is just Social security.  

In the 60's remember when gas was about 25cents/gallon.  Now the taxes on a gallon of fuel can easily top 50cents/gallon.

I know wages are up, but tax burdens are up more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Here is a data point that I found in a 1964 issue of the Model A Ford club magazine.  

It shows the age of the Model A club members in 1964. the center 3 catagories where the lion's share of the members were found covered the ages 20 - 49, the average age in 1964 was 35.5 years. from 50 years old to 60 years old numbers dropped off rapidly. From 60 - 70 only 2.6 % of the members were that old.

Interesting, but I don't think that has any relevance to the current situation that is the subject of this discussion. A 35 year old in 1964 was born in about 1929. Clearly, Model A Fords were what that age group fondly recalled as the cars of their youth, which is exactly what most antique car collectors tend to collect. The world was quite a different place in 1964. The economy was certainly different from today. Technology was different. In 1964 Most older car collectors were collecting Brass Cars. In 1964, a Model A Ford was what the younger generation of car collectors could more easily afford. 

• Like 2

I was thinking only that the largest segment of a quite large vintage car club was at the time in their mid 30's. I am not sure if similar information is available for a non make and year specific , vintage car club like the AACA. If so it would be interesting to see if member age percentages substantially changed over the decades. 

I concider myself something of a Brass Car guy. In 1964 I was just starting grade school.

But you are correct, none of this has anything to do with current membership. Those who have the interest and means will join, membership numbers are just numbers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Those who have the interest and means will join, membership numbers are just numbers.

My earlier comment was about the means portion of disposable income for the car hobby.  If you don't have it, you can not spend it, except the federal government.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A one make club that shall remain nameless has recently "booted" me from their FB page after I raised questions as to why CAD files I posted to help with restoration of a certain model had been deleted. I maintain that they are not interested in sharing information with anyone who is not a "paid up member" and more interested in membership subscription revenue than actually helping people keep the cars and hence the hobby going. That is one of the reasons I will not join their ranks.

I belong to a locally based club as it provides me with access to a "historical" registration scheme at a very reasonable price. I used to be involved quite a bit with this club but ever their internal politics, squabbles and negativity towards fresh ideas has me now a silent member. The club was formed in 1946 and there are many older members predating 1960 who seem to control things and want it all their own way. It is very much currently a social club for pensioners.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fordy said:

A one make club that shall remain nameless has recently "booted" me from their FB page after I raised questions as to why CAD files I posted to help with restoration of a certain model had been deleted. I maintain that they are not interested in sharing information with anyone who is not a "paid up member" and more interested in membership subscription revenue than actually helping people keep the cars and hence the hobby going. That is one of the reasons I will not join their ranks.

I belong to a locally based club as it provides me with access to a "historical" registration scheme at a very reasonable price. I used to be involved quite a bit with this club but ever their internal politics, squabbles and negativity towards fresh ideas has me now a silent member. The club was formed in 1946 and there are many older members predating 1960 who seem to control things and want it all their own way. It is very much currently a social club for pensioners.

I know one of those also and all they want to do is gather trophies, not sharing information.  Sharing  information is why I like this group.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

As I mention often, we were criticized for having 30's cars when everyone in our local AACA was driving 20's and earlier cars, we were criticized for driving 40's car when people were touring with 30's cars, and when I decided to drive more 1930's cars the more AACA active locals were by then driving 50's and 60's cars - so I gave up (I now have a CCCA - Classic Car Club of America, ACD - Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club, and JCNA - Jaguar Driver's Club membership, plus  periodically friends invite me to something AACA) - basically, when I go out on a tour I do not want to be the only one with something that no one has anything even remotely similar to.  In all fairness it was a lot of fun 1974 to 1990's, but I want to be among the dozens with thirties cars - not solo.     I also gave up on the Austin Healey Club as locally they seem to be on a mission to see what rate of speed they can go to in an effort to destroy their cars  (not using them in the purpose of which they were intended), I have not given the MG groups locally a try, and ... 

Sidenote:  A note from the Cadillac LaSalle Club lead to starting this page and my feeling was always that their club now just covers too broad a range of years and something for everyone turns into something not specific enough to match interests (and time just keeps watering it down more).    Example:  Someone with a 50's Cadillac probably does not want to read an article on rebuilding a 1928-1931 transmission and visa versa.   When I did the 1939 LaSalle everyone said "join the Club" and one look at their publication and I could not possibly see how that was going to help me (I already knew the vendors from the 1936 restoration and eons of owning the 1941, and ....)