1948 Chrysler New Yorker timing pointer

Akstraw

I wanted to check the ignition timing on a 1948 Chrysler New Yorker today, and found that there was no timing pointer.  My shop manual shows that there should be one above the crankshaft damper where you would expect.  With a mirror, I looked at the front of the engine to try to determine where it should be, and whether I could fabricate one, but can’t identify an obvious place.  Does anyone have one of these straight eights where they can photograph the front of the engine to show me what the pointer looks like and how it is mounted?  Thanks!

Don't know about the straight eights but the sixes use a different method of finding TDC. They have a pipe plug in the head above the #6 cylinder. You can take out the plug and drop a screwdriver down the hole and feel the piston rise and fall as you turn the engine. You could even use a dial indicator to find TDC. I would check the head for a mysterious pipe plug over one piston.

Thanks!  I got a photo of an 8 cylinder in a PM. It looks just the same as the six.  Tomorrow, I’ll have another look at mine with the mirror, but I think I will end up having to drain the coolant and pull the radiator to get in there and fix this.  I appreciate your help.