1929 Chrysler six cylinder questions?

Chrysler was pretty conservative about changing things that were working well, so there is a good chance that some of the specifications from later cars are appropriate for yours.

The later six cylinder engines had a firing order of 1-5-3-6-2-4, it would surprise me if the earlier ones were different.

I suspect that the ignition was statically timed for top dead center as that seemed to be pretty common. Point gap of 0.020" and spark plug gap of 0.025" was pretty common too. If you can’t find the exact specifications for your car you may want to try those as a starting point.

Or, maybe better yet, wait for someone with the correct specifications from the original operator’s manual chimes in. :)

You probably have a Series 70 car (normally cited as 1930 models), but what is your engine? Casting number on the head doesn't tell much, what is the serial number? Series 70 engines should start with the letter V. Also note there is a mid-production engine change starting with V-13595 when a larger engine was introduced.

My look up tool finds the following for that engine number:

Engine Number C-5245
Found in range 1001 to 16440
Serial 4245 of 15440
Year 1930
Make Chrysler
Model Model 66
Engineering Code C
Type Inline, L-Head
Cylinders 6
Bore and Stroke 3-1/8x4-1/2
Cu.In. 195.6
BHP 65@3200
Source Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942

My 1931 Chilton Multi-Guide gives the following ignition specifications for that car:

Spark plug gap: 0.030"

Breaker point gap: 0.020"

Timing: 0.035" before TDC (I have no idea how or where this distance is measured).

On 11/2/2022 at 12:46 PM, ply33 said:

Timing: 0.035" before TDC (I have no idea how or where this distance is measured).

Remove the plug over #6 cylinder at top dead center put a rod in and turn the crank by hand until the rod drops .035"

On 11/3/2022 at 2:03 PM, OldsmoREO said:

Too bad the car has a modern radiator without a hole for the crack. So I have to jack up one rear wheel to turn the engine in high gear. 

thank you for your help. 

Neil

Take it out of gear, remove the plugs and it should turn over by hand.

• 4 weeks later...

There should be a 1/8" pipe plug in the head above #6 cylinder. Drop a rod thru the hole to the top of the piston and hand crank the engine over, use a dial indicator on the rod to find top dead center. Next time you turn the engine over, stop at .032" before you get to top dead center. Check the location of the rotor for the firing of the plug. Make sure you disconnect the battery before you crank the engine over! I have a kit that was used to set the timing. It was very expensive and a rare item . Let me know if I'm doing it wrong!

• Like 1