WTB - 1931 Buick Model 8-96-S tools

31Buick96S

I am looking for a hand engine starting crank and jack for my 1931 Buick Country Club Coupe. Thanks in advance for any help and advice anyone can supply.

Edited by jdtaylor65@hotmail.com (see edit history)

• 31Buick96S changed the title to WTB - 1931 Buick Model 8-96-S tools

Thank you for the response Hugh. My car has the 344 straight eight. The nose of the crank looks it would require a handle with a pin across the end to engage the ears on the crank. I"ll see if I can get a clear picture of it and post it hear later. 

drovak,

If it's not too much trouble, pictures and some dimensions would be great! Thank you for your offer.🙂

Mark,

I mainly want to put together the tools that would have come with the car for my own satisfaction.  I spoke with Charlie Halpin the other evening about hand tools, but jacks and cranks aren't in his wheelhouse. I won't be trying to actually start this beast with a hand crank.☺️

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The hand crank is only there to static set the points and timing. It was was never intended to start the car. Not sure if a big Buick uses a single or dual points set up. With dual points, you must be able to set the static timing or you would be in a hopeless situation. The jack and tool guy at Hershey next to the pedestrian bridge usually has a bunch for sale……..maybe buy two of them from him and machine or weld up what you need. That way it will look reasonably correct.

• Like 2