Final dash for mystery parts help 63 Riviera- DAY 64

Dundee

Hi all

Well provided the rain gods behave a bit over the next week the pick up is arriving to take this 63 away to be reassembled and fix and replace what's not right or missing. I will post some photos when it is loaded with parts and going on the truck...Its been in the garage a couple of months and every day I learn something new about the car and mostly from the knowledge you all willingly share. I expect the car will be gone for at least 12 months and subject to their work flow, acquiring parts and the all restrictive cash flow. Anyway time moves quick and I will be able to get the garage back in order, tidy up and repaint the floor ready for the arrival, not to mention a few around the house jobs that have been put on hold the last months.

Anyway I have this bunch of mystery parts (hopefully the last of them), they were all painted with body black so expect many will be in engine bay or under body. I have item numbered them in the picks so even if it looks like something familiar please quote the item number and if you need a photo on a different angle or sizing please ask. I understand that some could even be non-original that evolved from an old under dash A/C set up or from the R/H conversion so likely a few mysteries for the mechanics will remain. If you have a photo of it in place or I can find it in the manual even better...

Thanks again everyone and good luck with the puzzle..

dundee Ron

IMG_5337.JPG

IMG_5338.JPG

IMG_5339.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

IMG_5341.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

5 hours ago, Dundee said:

Hi all

Well provided the rain gods behave a bit over the next week the pick up is arriving to take this 63 away to be reassembled and fix and replace what's not right or missing. I will post some photos when it is loaded with parts and going on the truck...Its been in the garage a couple of months and every day I learn something new about the car and mostly from the knowledge you all willingly share. I expect the car will be gone for at least 12 months and subject to their work flow, acquiring parts and the all restrictive cash flow. Anyway time moves quick and I will be able to get the garage back in order, tidy up and repaint the floor ready for the arrival, not to mention a few around the house jobs that have been put on hold the last months.

Anyway I have this bunch of mystery parts (hopefully the last of them), they were all painted with body black so expect many will be in engine bay or under body. I have item numbered them in the picks so even if it looks like something familiar please quote the item number and if you need a photo on a different angle or sizing please ask. I understand that some could even be non-original that evolved from an old under dash A/C set up or from the R/H conversion so likely a few mysteries for the mechanics will remain. If you have a photo of it in place or I can find it in the manual even better...

Thanks again everyone and good luck with the puzzle..

dundee Ron

IMG_5337.JPG

IMG_5338.JPG

IMG_5339.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

IMG_5341.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

6 F looks like the fuel filter bracket and 6 i looks to be a spark plug wire bracket. The plug wire bracket is missing the plastic piece that holds and separates the wires. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bill

6A is an oil slinger. Goes on the crank behind the front cover. Check an illustration for proper orientation.  6C is the washer that goes in the lower pulley where it bolts to the balancer.  I’m thinking that 6H is a trunk lock lock bracket. 4C is a heat shield that goes between the stater motor o and the block. 4D boltlts to the rocker arm under the oil fill hole in the valve cover. 5A ?? Covers for the rear quarter - access to the rear window motor/ regulator. Photo box 1 and 2, in my opinion, are not part of your Riviera; look like brackets for an aftermarket a/c unit.   Good luck.🍀 

• Thanks 1

4C is the starter heat shield which is held on with the 2 lower rear left short head bolts.

4D has one bolt hold down that is broken/missing. Bolts over the middle of the right rocker arm assembly to help keep oil from being sucked into the PCV valve.

6C is held to the balancer with 6-5/16ths. x 18 bolts. 

6F is a partial fuel filter bracket of which one leg is missing.

Tom T.

8 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

6 F looks like the fuel filter bracket and 6 i looks to be a spark plug wire bracket. The plug wire bracket is missing the plastic piece that holds and separates the wires. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bill

Great start 

19 hours ago, RivNut said:

6A is an oil slinger. Goes on the crank behind the front cover. Check an illustration for proper orientation.  6C is the washer that goes in the lower pulley where it bolts to the balancer.  I’m thinking that 6H is a trunk lock lock bracket. 4C is a heat shield that goes between the stater motor o and the block. 4D boltlts to the rocker arm under the oil fill hole in the valve cover. 5A ?? Covers for the rear quarter - access to the rear window motor/ regulator. Photo box 1 and 2, in my opinion, are not part of your Riviera; look like brackets for an aftermarket a/c unit.   Good luck.🍀 

Checked that 5A and all good!

don’t stop now Ed!

On 10/17/2022 at 10:22 PM, Riviera63 said:

Bill

Thanks bill found the plastic ends x 2 but only 1 metal bracket, we can make another!

10 hours ago, Dundee said:

Thanks bill found the plastic ends x 2 but only 1 metal bracket, we can make another!

I am glad I could be of help and you found the plug wire girdles. If I remember correctly the brackets are slightly different. I will take a look today.

Bill

Seems there are some chrome ones in old Buick parts catalogue but looks like only for alloy rocker covers, anyone tried these on steel covers? I will probably need to go chrome or at least engine silver as my rockers have been chromed…..

Look at how and where they are attached.  The finned covers have a recess that's flat where the bracket bolts on.  The Steel covers have a ridge that runs across the valve cover as a reinforcement. The bolt hole is in the middle of that ridge so the bracket needs to bridge over that ridge.  

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

#3 might be the retainers for holding the rubber boots in place between the door and the door jamb.  Protects the wires for the power seats and windows.

Spot on Ed!

even see the tell tail marks in there rubber. Seems just for body side and door side I just see some pan head screw marks though the wrap around retainer makes sense for the rubber??Have a couple. nor rat chews to content with on the RHS,,,

IMG_5435.JPG

9 hours ago, Chasander said:

#4 maybe at top of vent window Concealed. 

mmmm may have to dig a little there. they are plastic and yes similar in form to the seal at the apex of that window but the screw hole at the bottom is weird. I was thinking wipers??????????????

23 minutes ago, Dundee said:

Spot on Ed!

even see the tell tail marks in there rubber. Seems just for body side and door side I just see some pan head screw marks though the wrap around retainer makes sense for the rubber??Have a couple. nor rat chews to content with on the RHS,,,

IMG_5435.JPG

1440D998-E8D0-43B7-8177-6B5A446849BD.jpeg.eb3ac4ebbd4d8b2193d2c2a5816fc4f0.jpeg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dundee said:

mmmm may have to dig a little there. they are plastic and yes similar in form to the seal at the apex of that window but the screw hole at the bottom is weird. I was thinking wipers??????????????

The pieces at the top of the vent window have a metal core covered by a rubber coating. They are held in place by a small screw at the bottom.

Bill

4392-2.jpg

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4484.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Dundee said:

Spot on Ed!

IMG_5435.JPG

I'm surprised the rubber sleeve isn't painted 😆

3 hours ago, Dundee said:

Don’t suppose anyone can snap what the fixings look like on each end of those wiring boots. I found some respectable hex/ washer head screws that look the part??

1/4" hex head screws on the end with the metal retaining rings and black plastic push pins to attach at the door end. 

Bill

IMG_8743.JPG

IMG_8744.JPG

10 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

The pieces at the top of the vent window have a metal core covered by a rubber coating. They are held in place by a small screw at the bottom.

Bill

4392-2.jpg

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4484.JPG

Thanks Bill that’s great and that is Sedona those little parts but I think I have something different going on and  will check when I pull the left door skin and window out. With the eyes of a blind man it look a like maybe the window felt has a rubber end already on it whereas your felt seems to stop where that part starts…

Haven’t seen any of these wiring boots out there for sale, has anyone else?? Have a couple Tears where the push pins go and some small rat chews. Probably gets them to work but May require a set of rings and screws like the body end.

1 hour ago, Dundee said:

Thanks Bill that’s great and that is Sedona those little parts but I think I have something different going on and  will check when I pull the left door skin and window out. With the eyes of a blind man it look a like maybe the window felt has a rubber end already on it whereas your felt seems to stop where that part starts…

The originals were one piece with the rubber tip attached to the vent window assembly channel felt. I replaced the vent window assembly felt which is why they are in 2 pieces. The replacement rubber end piece and the vent window assembly channel felt are sold separately. The originals still have the screw in the rubber end piece. If you have the vent window assembly out, you might want to think about replacing the channel felt. It is the source of air leaks and my windows worked much better as well as you can then adjust to center the window in the channel. It made a big difference in my car. I did a write up in the March/April 2019 Riview on how to do this. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I have attached a picture of my original vent window assembly channel felts and the replacement pieces.

Bill

IMG_4428.JPG

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

On 10/25/2022 at 9:40 AM, Riviera63 said:

The originals were one piece with the rubber tip attached to the vent window assembly channel felt. I replaced the vent window assembly felt which is why they are in 2 pieces. The replacement rubber end piece and the vent window assembly channel felt are sold separately. The originals still have the screw in the rubber end piece. If you have the vent window assembly out, you might want to think about replacing the channel felt. It is the source of air leaks and my windows worked much better as well as you can then adjust to center the window in the channel. It made a big difference in my car. I did a write up in the March/April 2019 Riview on how to do this. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I have attached a picture of my original vent window assembly channel felts and the replacement pieces.

Bill

IMG_4428.JPG

Was that a steelerubber product Bill?

On 10/24/2022 at 5:32 PM, Dundee said:

Haven’t seen any of these wiring boots out there for sale, has anyone else?? Have a couple Tears where the push pins go and some small rat chews. Probably gets them to work but May require a set of rings and screws like the body end.

Look at BestOfferCounts on eBay. James was selling them. He also has a website https://bestoffercounts.com but the eBay store is the most current.

Ray

4 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

Look at BestOfferCounts on eBay. James was selling them. He also has a website https://bestoffercounts.com but the eBay store is the most current.

Ray

If it’s the boots I haven’t seen any on eBay yet and trolling pretty hard for various parts non on his general site that I can find

cheers Ray