40 roadmaster light switch

Drakeule

Drake, let me poke around in my shop.  I have an extra switch for my '41 that I got off Ebay.  When I had my dash apart to put in a new harness, I determined that the switch on my car was in fine shape so I didn't use the other one.  However, my memory is that the extra one was slightly different.  Anyhow, let me dig it out and see.  If we determine that the extra one I have will fit your car, you're welcome to it.

Neil

• Like 3

Well, I looked into it and I'm afraid I don't have what you need.  But I'll post the results of my detective work just in case it might be helpful.

Here's a page from the '41 shop manual showing the switch for that year, which is identified as Delco-Remy part #1995016.

Manual_p12-28.jpg.2f65194590ddd9b61bc6983e787f8288.jpg

Here's the box containing the switch that I got off of Ebay.

headlight_switch6.jpg.7889e8a148dba3e72cf4e9d62223685e.jpg

You can see that the box is labeled "One 1995011 switch" (not 1995016), but someone has made the notation "41-48 Buick."

Here are two views of the #5011 switch in the box.  As you can see, it's quite similar to the #5016 shown in the manual, with the same thermo-circuit breaker, but the contacts are slightly different.  It also appears to have the same three  positions when you operate it.

headlight_switch4.jpg.5b498374ee618a33ab3071aa46b85437.jpg

headlight_switch5.jpg.a5be75d5e3a848fac057149141cd9664.jpg

So I next did a google search for the part number and found that someone has helpfully uploaded the entire Delco-Remy catalog for 1948.

http://restoringcornelius.com/files/29-48 Delco Remy.pdf

But when I checked the catalog, I found that the #5011 switch is, in fact, a Packard switch, not a Buick switch.  The catalog lists the #5016 switch for Buick from '41 to '48, but lists the #5011 switch for Packard from '40 to '42.  So it appears that the Ebay seller was confused.  (And, by the way, according to the Delco-Remy catalog, the one you need for your '40 Buick is #1995008.)

So there you have it -- a very long-winded way of saying "sorry, I don't have what you need after all." 

• Like 1

Neil:

Thanks for the dissertation! I would bet the switch you have would fix my 40 Buick.I did (Dave) Goop the broken switch, and if I didn't have an alternative, I would try installing it.

However, one member does have an extra, so I'll get it from him and use that!

Thanks all again for the replies. I think working on these pre wars is a lot like alcoholism; it's really nice to have a support system!

• Like 1