1937 Shock absorbers

drrotor

Hi! Has anyone come up with modern shock absorber interchangeability for 1937? This is referring to a 5A (beam front axle, specifically Coupe Express). They look like ordinary modern shocks, not the lever-action type. A loop on each end in the rear, and a stud and a loop style on the front end. A 1968 Dodge Polara rear shock looks about right for the rear, but just guessing looking at a picture. And still looking for a match for the front. Keeping in mind the compressed and extended lengths (I haven’t measured mine or the Dodge ones yet). Hoping one of y’all has done the research and can give a modern part number or even better, a year and model that fits (like “1968 Dodge Polara” for example)

Edited by drrotor
Spelling (see edit history)

Don't over think it, just go to your nearest suspension mechanic, they will find units that will fit. I'm sure their labor cost would be minimal. Take yours off before you take it here to save some labor.

I have rebuilt my shock absorbers on 37 Studebaker Dictator  2 times in the 47 years i have owned it ...I did not need to change seals only ad the correct amount of motorcycle shock oil. 

after draining the fluid I added :

Front Shocks  6-1/4 oz 

Rear Shocks   6-1/2 oz

According to the table on page 84 in the Shop Manual. 

Hopes this helps   Frank