63 Parts Help day 47...

Dundee

Thought we could all haver a break from the parts trivia game but time has come to throw a few more out there..'Thanks in advance for any leads..

Also the last one chrome dome bolt appears to slot into the square hole in top of upper front bumper but its a serious bolt, does it serve any other purpose as I don't think it shows in the manual number assembly??

IMG_5198.JPG

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

20 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

The first 4 pieces are the brackets that bolt to the floor to hold the front of the driver's and passenger's front seats in place. These can be reversed in orientation so the driver's seat can sit a little further back to give you some more leg room.

Bill

Ta Bill 

Got that and would I be stretching it to ask if you can confirm the fixings as this is one of my nightmares finding them. Everything painted black so threads bind and never enough of the required. So looks like all up need 8 for those brackets and maybe 8 for rear mounts ( thinks 2 studs broken off in rear ones) these seem to be the two choices ( not by qty way short) bolts or studs, any clues? A24B9A9D-468A-4BF6-84B1-C919CD4C020C.jpeg.b8d2ecad6ee2186605086ae37b7fa189.jpeg

Bolts 5/16ths. by 18 about 1" to 1 1/4"or so long x 8.

You should also invest in a thread restoration kit. NOT the same as a tap & die set which removes material. The threads are a few thousandths smaller or larger & does NOT remove material.

Tom T.

3 hours ago, telriv said:

Bolts 5/16ths. by 18 about 1" to 1 1/4"or so long x 8.

You should also invest in a thread restoration kit. NOT the same as a tap & die set which removes material. The threads are a few thousandths smaller or larger & does NOT remove material.

Tom T.

Same set up for rear seat mounts Tom?

5 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Front only, and only at the front of the bracket. Rear seat bottom is held in place by spring action of the seat frame to brackets which are part of the floor board

Sorry ed was meaning (poorly written) the rear mounts of the front seats, same bolt set up ? as I was wondering what those studs were I have in the kit>>

8 hours ago, Dundee said:

Sorry ed was meaning (poorly written) the rear mounts of the front seats, same bolt set up ? as I was wondering what those studs were I have in the kit>>

The original setup was bolts all around.

Someone might have replaced the rear bolts with studs and nuts at some point later in the car's life. Studs would make it easier to locate into the holes in the seat mounting bracket and drop them over, then add the nuts. Trying to find the holes in the floor to push a bolt into can be a pain.

IIRC, there are 3 bolts across the back of the seat mounting brackets, 2 outboard, 1 inboard, on each seat.

4 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

The original setup was bolts all around.

Someone might have replaced the rear bolts with studs and nuts at some point later in the car's life. Studs would make it easier to locate into the holes in the seat mounting bracket and drop them over, then add the nuts. Trying to find the holes in the floor to push a bolt into can be a pain.

IIRC, there are 3 bolts across the back of the seat mounting brackets, 2 outboard, 1 inboard, on each seat.

That looks about right Jim allowing for RHD alterations, electric seat went to RHS and the fact there seems to be a broken or cut bolt on there outboard of each side..

IMG_5221.JPG

IMG_5222.JPG

IMG_5223.JPG

None of those bolts/studs appear to be original. The bolts in the top of the pic are closest as they have an end designed to make it easier to find the bolt hole but the ones pictured are too short and the originals do not have an affixed lock washer.

Be careful when removing the broken bolts in the floor as the nuts which are crimped to the floor are easily broken free from the floor. Resist the temptation to use a hammer and simply heat/cool/drill but don't "beat".

Your last pictures are what is left of your original exhaust hangers.

Tom Mooney

8 hours ago, Dundee said:

A little more to consider on these mystery parts is these seem to be opposing angles in there design. Thought maybe exhaust brackets but at a lossD5653D49-3950-4C47-BC83-29BF6AB2EC88.jpeg.67f6ab5752735691b5fd2f6666be0d60.jpeg0EE86803-9615-4C7C-9653-F34D90CA9838.jpeg.74d5cda8db74f4d58efc046506ac77e7.jpeg 

New “OEM” exhaust hangers can be found here:

https://waldronexhaust.com/product/1963-65-buick-riviera-including-65-riviera-gran-sport-set-of-6-oem-style-hangers/#

6 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

None of those bolts/studs appear to be original. The bolts in the top of the pic are closest as they have an end designed to make it easier to find the bolt hole but the ones pictured are too short and the originals do not have an affixed lock washer.

Be careful when removing the broken bolts in the floor as the nuts which are crimped to the floor are easily broken free from the floor. Resist the temptation to use a hammer and simply heat/cool/drill but don't "beat".

Your last pictures are what is left of your original exhaust hangers.

Tom Mooney

Thanks Tom for sending me to the correct section of the service manual 

I can see them….as well as the other 2 parts in original post. Off to bolt shop today and you wouldn’t believe some of the little screws I am missing such as front ashtray frame and hinge🤯
Ron