1911 Model 14 or 1910 Model 10 as first car

Richard_D

Hi all.

I've had a brass car intrest for a number of years that I've not acted on but it's finally got the better of me so this weekend I'm of to look at a Model 14 and Model 10.

Both cars were restored in the 80s and driven by the owner until his passing 8 years ago.

His widow  continued using them until her passing 3 years ago.

They haven't been used much if at all since then and the seller (nephew) hasn't tried starting them.

Work prevents me from being able to drive it often but if I did it would be on local club events say 18 to 45 miles away with some hills 600 ft on the way.

Its mainly bitumen rural type roads with a 45 to 60 speed limit.

My main interest is the 2 cylinder 14.

Assuming it's in good shape is it up to this sort of driving?

I know hills can be a problem for some early cars because of power or clutch design would this apply to the 14?

Or are there other obviously reasons to take the 10 over the 14?

Any thoughts on fair prices?

Sorry for the very broad nature of my question as I said I'm new to cars of this age.

Thanks Richard. 

• Like 1

The Model 10 is much “more car” than the Model 14.  If you must have 2 cylinders, hold out for a Model F, Buick’s “ Old Reliable”.  The Model 14 was/is a budget car.  Interesting but not particularly exciting for a first Brass Era purchase. Just my 2 cents…

• Like 3

From the photos, buy them both.  Model 14 for the Lansing to Dearborn Endurance Run and the Model 10 for everything else.  Good find, do it today and avoid heartache and competition.

Regards, Gary

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cxgvd said:

From the photos, buy them both.  Model 14 for the Lansing to Dearborn Endurance Run and the Model 10 for everything else.  Good find, do it today and avoid heartache and competition.

Regards, Gary

That's a good idea except my wife would leave taking half of the cars so I'd still have to choose one. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Richard_D said:

That's a good idea except my wife would leave taking half of the cars so I'd still have to choose one. 

Convince her they are investments?

A guy said he got a Buick for his wife,

and his buddy said:

Hey! Good Trade !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for my ignorance.

I have seen the cars which are advertised as being in "excellent restored condition. Run and drive well"

Condition is indeed excellent but they haven't ran for a couple of years at least. 

The 14 had been taken off the stands and one front tyre is too cracked to be safe to drive on.

I don't have the experience to buy a car this age not running and the seller wasn't going to drop his price for a non running car.

He instead offering to get his late uncles friend to come and get the car going. 

This hasn't happened a up to date, any suggestions on how to check the condition of a non running car?

My interest is the 14, happy to pass along contact details to anyone who wants to buy the 10, message me for my number and I'll pass along contact details, just remember it is in Australia.

Edited by Richard_D
Added to post (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Yes Garry. We were discussing this on the tour last week and wondered which one he would buy and I put in a request for his leftover!

217202904_ThenavigatorsviewchasingaBrush.JPG.01959e32660d73283bf6988936742547.JPG

Cars are in Australia, I'm interested in the 14 so message me for my number and I'll pass along contact details for the 10

Edited by Richard_D
Added to post (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Richard_D;  Thanks for the response.  I agree with you a non running car should cost less.  I would not want an uncle coming over to start the engines of my car, please leave the car alone until you get it home.  Take your time to learn about them and tinker.

I suggest you try this, with a sincere desire to acquire one of the cars, meet with the person who is the authorized seller, do not run the condition of the cars down, even compliment them, and bring a cheque or cash and make a fair offer to purchase that day.  Convince the owner you are the best person to love his car and price sometimes becomes secondary.

Anything can be repaired and painted, but you need to buy the car.

Happy hunting, Gary

Oh well... I had hopes for one of the cars but being that they are in Australia... a bit too far for me.

I had followed Gary's advice on several of my attempts on buying a brass Buick. Unfortunately things did not work out. Similar story.... "Restored, running and driving" cars. I made arangements to view and DRIVE the car. When we arive there are excuses and find out the car has not moved or been run for years. In some cases many years.

1571033629_(KGrHqV!q8FIPVqrQtIBSIN43hCZw60_35.jpg.b6f1acc9f482aecb7adc79abe328c101.jpg This photo is how this 1913-31 was described to me.

The photo was taken after its fresh restoration in the 1950s.

DSCF4707.JPG.642860034c091f00045c51ab73ffa97a.JPG Our first inspection view. Very degraded condition in 2016 as every panel had peeling paint.

998474458_52727742-700-01.jpg.ab2aedba4e9c4e6a1bfb1df4f4eb8f01.jpg Outside photos were staged with the aid of a tow vehicle.

There was no bottom radiator hose. The seller assured us that we would be able to drive the car the day of our inspection. The seller admitted that the engine was not run in about 10 years. The clutch was stuck etc. etc. We made a cash offer which was refused and hoped for another chance.  It went to another collector in the PA. area who got it roadworthy for a tour untill the "hinkey" second gear went out on the first day. It appeared at Hershey 2017 for sale and I believe it is in England now.

I could write a book.....

• Haha 1