1938 Buick Century - $9,500

If the price was adjusted could be a nice "driver". Seems to be missing a lot of little things.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/7523821882.html

1938 Buick Century Coupe. Car is in great shape, but hasn’t run since it went to storage in the early 90s. Car has minimal rust—no rot anywhere. 320 straight 8. Again, the car drove to storage and then sat for 30 plus years. Engine and drivetrain is intact—nothing missing as far as I can tell. The body is in great shape but overall needs some TLC. Asking $9500 obo. (925) 698-6182

00j0j_Jx2AFKojmez_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00u0u_GkHPbOKbVsz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg00l0l_j28wXtBEkJfz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00W0W_ltQHwF1tvDKz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg01515_ch9eOZeEuWFz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

If someone is considering it, I would suggest you contact the owner for more photos. He has more photos that will help you understand what he has, including spare parts unless he has decided to sell the parts separately. It has the wrong year engine in it, with the wrong exhaust manifold on it currently. It has been converted to a different brake system with the master cylinder bolted to the firewall. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I am going to copy and paste my previous email to the owner when he was asking for my feedback on the car:

"It is really difficult for me to estimate the value of what you have there. For lots of guys, the modifications that were made to the brake system, and the replacement engine hurt the value. The manifolds that you have are from several different years of Buicks. They have a bit of value to the right person, but a person who wants a stock original car will not be interested in them. All of the hubcaps are also from other year Buicks. 

With a quick glance, I would guess that the value of what you have is between $3,000 and $6,000, depending on who is looking. A purist will see a restorable car that needs everything, including a correct engine, probably worth about $3,000. I personally prefer sedans and have paid $1,500 for a car in similar condition, but the people who like Coupes tend to value them higher than sedans. A typical California hot rodder will think that $6,000 is a good deal on what you have. A hot rodder near you might even pay more than $6,000. The dual carburetor manifold doesn't belong on a 1938 Buick, but they will fit. Those came from a Buick a few years later. That manifold is probably worth between $500 and $1000 to the right person. 

Just as an example, a correctly restored steering wheel is worth about $1,000. In the photos, it looks like whoever recast that steering wheel left it really ragged where the cast material meets the spokes, and the spokes look rough in the photo. If the spokes will buff up, and the rough edges of the casting can be cleaned up, then the value of that part is nearly $1,000. If it needs to be totally recast to correct those issues, then it is worth about $100 as a core. It is impossible for me to be more specific based on just the photos. 

If you can find a local Buick Club or AACA Region or Chapter near you, a local antique car hobbyist who is more familiar with the old car marketplace near you can probably take a look at it in person and give you a more precise estimate of value. Sorry I am not more helpful in determining value. When you figure out a price and are ready to advertise it, I am happy to advertise it for you."   
  • Like 2

It’s not a ‘38 steering wheel, in any case.

I’m another guy who prefers sedans to coupes, especially ‘38 Buicks.

Sad to think of it being hot-rodded, but only a hot rodder is going to pay $9500 for it.

I respectfully disagree.... I am not a Hot Rodder... but prefer vintage drivers... this one could be a nice daily driver... and the 8 cylinder engine is a plus... and I know from many years experience driving pre war cars that have the original look, but have some modifications.... that they are well appreciated by the general public....  only the 'educated' vintage car collector would recognize the modifications.... most people would simply appreciate seeing this car on the road..... being used & driven..... I feel the price is very fair for a car that could be a daily driver, , with very little additional money invested to sort it our for safe driving...    

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, suchan said:

It’s not a ‘38 steering wheel, in any case.

I’m another guy who prefers sedans to coupes, especially ‘38 Buicks.

Sad to think of it being hot-rodded, but only a hot rodder is going to pay $9500 for it.

Among the extra parts is what appears to be a poorly recast 1938 Buick Steering Wheel. 

While I have seen more photos than are listed in the ad, from the photos that I have seen, I am not sure of the condition of the drivetain. The shifter rod is not correct for a 1938 Buick, so I don't know if the transmission is original or not. I have not seen any chassis photos. From what I do see, there is a lot more work needed to make this a driver than most people seem to realize from the limited photos. From my vantage point, it needs a fairly complete restoration. It would be far cheaper, much easier, and faster to purchase a restored car than to buy that one at the advertised price and restore it. Hopefully he will find someone nearby who can save it and get it back on the road. I suspect it will become a highly modified car, which will be right at home in California.   

• Like 2

The CL ad has been deleted by the seller. I like coupes a bit more than sedans. I would want this car for under six grand just from the money and the immense amount of hours of work that would have to be put to it. I have also found that previous owners do some wild repairs to these old cars and I have no idea why they did it in the first place; hence the master cylinder! I have a fully restored 38 steering which I paid to have re-casted and re-chromed wheel and those processes ain't cheap. The one on the car isn't correct. I think to let people properly evaluate the car the extra parts should have been photographed and included in the ad!  But the seller most likely sold it...