1948 Oldsmobile with Drivability Issues

57j2olds

if your rear engine bell housing mounts L&R are wore out and breaking apart, that will affect the shifting of gears in the single range Hydra-Matic trans, as someone has said, there is no torque converter, but a very good fluid coupling, be sure the engine is tune real good, no ignition misses, because a ignition miss will end up breaking one or more of the fluid coupling torus bowl's shift compensating springs - there are 6 springs in the torus bowl.

966s is a type YF, not a WA-1.

The carb you have is Oldsmobile, but earlier for the 238 CID engine.

Yes, it is wrong, however; the carb should still work, but might not be optimal.

The paper tag is probably the rebuilder's number. The rebuilders group several carbs together and give the carb their own number.

Assuming the carb was properly rebuilt, it is not the major part of your problem.

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

if your rear engine bell housing mounts L&R are wore out and breaking apart, that will affect the shifting of gears in the single range Hydra-Matic trans, as someone has said, there is no torque converter, but a very good fluid coupling, be sure the engine is tune real good, no ignition misses, because a ignition miss will end up breaking one or more of the fluid coupling torus bowl's shift compensating springs - there are 6 springs in the torus bowl.

So I understand, are you referring to the transmission mounts?

Are these them?

Mounts.JPG

Edited by 57j2olds (see edit history)

On 7/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, 57j2olds said:

So I understand, are you referring to the transmission mounts?

Are these them?

Mounts.JPG

yes, GM called them rear engine isolator mounts, before the Controlled Coupling (dual coupling) trans (Oldsmobile named Jetaway) the Hydra-Matic was removed from the bell housing, leaving the engine still supported by 3 or 4 mounts.

Hello-

I wanted to update you all.

My compression is ok. All 6 cyl are between 100 and 120. Timing is set. 

I replaced the incorrect 1948 carb with the correct 1949 Carter.

Took it out yesterday and it did run better, however the shaking/heavy vibration is still present. Here is what I can observe:

When you push on gas pedal very slow from a stop I can avoid the shake.

If you try to accelerate normal the car feels like its gonna fall apart.

After it gets into 2nd gear....no more vibration.

There is no vibration in reverse at all.

A friend of mine told me it's my clutch plates that are worn. 

Is there anything I can do prior to pulling the trans for a rebuild?

I was also told it's not the u-joints because the vibe goes away after it gets into 2nd gear. Yes - I do need trans mounts. 

It appears to be clutch chatter in 1st.  I get some in my 54.  Second and third gear no chatter.  If I feather the clutch peddle in 1st all is good.   Resurface the flywheel.  Probably has gear oil coming out of the throw out bearing support.  If so, the leaking oil needs to addressed.    Get a trans mount!    

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Don't think the transmission could cause a vibration in low only. It sounds like mounts or I was thinking engine misfire but if it pulls good in second not that.  Yes the bands can be adjusted but if it is shifting nice, especially in to third, I would leave them.  You could possibly have a slipping clutch but  it should slip in 4th too., and the clutches slip and let the engine rev, not chatter.