1955 Roadmaster Steering Column Install

buickbrothers

Hi all. I'm installing my steering column, but I'm having problems. I expected it to drop in place easily, but we are talking about Buicks, right? Everything takes three times to get it right. Anyway, when I mount the column on the shaft and align back to the original line on the collar, the shifter will not shift. It's acting like there is no spring at the base to provide the up/down movement. Any thoughts?    

Hi John. If you're talking about the spring contact that rides on the horn wire collar I haven't installed it yet until the steering column is in and checks out. Any other thoughts? Can't find any documentation on the steering column or video's of installs. Grrr... 

Help with “ the shifter will not shift” - having trouble visualizing it.

Automatic?  Can’t rotate shift lever about the column from P to R and back?  Or can’t raise lever toward you to “unlock the detent” and then be able to shift it?

Have done this twice and don’t recall any weird tricks.  The column was pulled completely out of the car?  It’s not jammed up under tension is it?  Or tension on the parking pawl holding it jammed in park?  Maybe try loosening the clamp under the dash to make sure nothing is binding, try rotating the shift column and linkage manually, make sure the detent lockout slot (pulling shift lever toward you) can be cleared, lever aligned with gear car is in.

Stream of consciousness - let us know what you find

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response all. Got sidelined on some family issues, aging Mom, and had to transition her to assisted living. Anyway, will be getting back on the steering column this week and let you know how it goes. I'm thinking it's the wire harness, but will verify. Column shifting was working fine when I tested the assembled column out of the car.    

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, finally got this steering column in. Although I completely assembled it out of the car originally, I ended up taking it all apart and installed each piece directly on the shaft to ensure there were no other problems. The transmission control shaft was not fully sliding into its cavity of the steering box collar when I tried installing the fully assembled unit. Once the transmission control shaft was in place, I could then slide the jacket over it and ensured the wiring harness was perfectly flat and not causing a bind of any sort. Then finished installing the rest. Operates smoothly now and springs back as it should. Dropped the transmission in last weekend so ready to hook up linkage next. So, trying to make up for lost time. My goal is to have this car back together by end of spring next year.    

• Thanks 1

I see that you installed a transmission  you most likely have new mounts installed.  Drag out a manual if you have one and take the time and confirm adjustment on the linkage. This summer I replaced mounts on my 53 RM transmission and thought it would not change the adjustment on the linkage it did. I had to jack it back up and confirm adjustment of the linkage. I usually do things twice anyway, on the really good days three times. 

Steve 

• Haha 3

Lol-welcome to the world on minimal and sometimes strange documentation. If you are pulling the entire column assembly off the steering shaft, no, you don't need to remove the shift lever to do that. To remove the entire column as one unit, just remove the shift linkage to the transmission, and the clamp at the base of the column (AT, AS, AR). However, you can't disassemble the column, after it is off, without removing the shift lever and other upper assembly pieces. The chrome piece, at the base of the shift level, unscrews to expose the pin (R) that is holding the shift lever to the upper end of the shaft (AD). Once you remove the pin, the shift lever comes out. Then you can proceed with removal of 3 short bolts on "V", the spring (U). by unscrewing V. That separates AD from A (note - remove external column pieces like C, D, AC, AA) that can be damaged and not allow AD from sliding out of A. See documents below for references and take step-by-step pictures as you do this in order to reassemble.      

image.png.8be31244b9d05e8a572a309f914de4d2.png

image.png.9ee90ac425df390e0fbf5203ddd09934.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3