figuring out gass tank straps

36humpback

I'm having problems trying to figure out how the gas tank straps on my 36 humpback panel go.  I know which way they bolt on, but can't figure out how and where the "s" shaped brackets go.  I'm getting to the point where I don't even know if they go to the straps.  They were off when I got it, and they were bolted onto the ends.  Any help will be appreciated. I've tried two different places, but both do not seem right.  Thanks Bob

tank 1.jpg

tank 2.jpg

Make and model? Is a Humpback a Dodge panel truck? I think so but am a little out of the loop here.

I don't have the answer as I have not seen straps like your picture. Also the picture is a little confusing. I see steering linkage. Which end of the vehicle is this gas tank on?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 10:37 PM, 36humpback said:

I'm having problems trying to figure out how the gas tank straps on my 36 humpback panel go.  I know which way they bolt on, but can't figure out how and where the "s" shaped brackets go.  I'm getting to the point where I don't even know if they go to the straps.  They were off when I got it, and they were bolted onto the ends.  Any help will be appreciated. I've tried two different places, but both do not seem right.  Thanks Bob

tank 1.jpg

tank 2.jpg

more pics of what straps look like.  The end with the bolt, bolts to the cross member just behind the transmission.  The back end bolts to the tank support shown in one of the pictures.  It is a 36 Dodge humpback panel. the tank is on the driver's side running front to back.  The gas cap is right below the driver's seat. (no OSHA back then) Bob

front of strap.jpg

bracket.jpg

mounting to rear bracket.jpg

rear of strap.jpg

strap.jpg

Edited by 36humpback (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 3macboys said:

Not to be a smart a$$ but do you have the parts catalog and service manual for the truck?  The exploded views in the parts catalog might help is all.

I have a 36-40 master parts list for job rated trucks, and all it shows is the strap itself. No nuts,bolts, or anything.

I think I figured out how the different pieces go together.  The "S" bracket goes over the top of the rear bracket so the tank goes against it on top. (with cushioning added of course). Thanks for everyone's input and help.  Bob

front mount.jpg

rear mount 1.jpg

rear mount 2.jpg

• Like 3