For Sale: 1931 Auburn 4dr $30K in Cary, IL

Came across a 1931 Auburn 4dr for $30K.  Not mine but I wish it was. 

Was it common to not have the car number stamped on the engine plate with Auburns?  Or does that indicate a replacement engine?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/698469468092496/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A72db934b-9059-4e98-96f1-b8c44d3e7a91

image.png.1e127ad63b7de808702e482e813aee7e.png

This one has been for sale for awhile, and shared here a few times now. It used to look worse, but the fellow I guess keeps working on it and raising the price to cover it? I don't know how he manages that.

Auburn automobiles from the 1930s are notorious for a well known hobbyist collector back around WW2 that bought out the Auburn company inventory. He made quite a business of providing parts for surviving Auburns, and accounts for so many of them on the road today. Among that inventory, I guess were a number of engines. So it was common back in the 1950s and 1960s to buy rebuilt replacement engines for them. That is a double-edge sword. Many more Auburns exist today because of that (and in better shape than they would have been?), however, a lot of them do not have their actual original engines. Many, maybe even most, are basically correct engines however. Today, along with muscle cars and Duesenbergs, I am sure whether the engine is the true original or not should affect the value. However, the issue is so common that one with an exchanged engine will have a lot of company!

• Like 1

That’s true of the 810-812 Cord engines also, very common to have a replacement engine in them.

The ACD Club seems to sort of shrug it off, which is good.

When I had my Cord certified I found out it had a replacement engine, probably installed in the 1950s since I once traced the car back to a 1960s owner.

Interesting to me, as I’ve since acquired the original engine block with some internals, and it seems solid, so must have been a ring or bearing issue.

I can kinda see the problem with 'no.s' on a muscle car (heck these are even 60 yrs old now) but I would think a car from 1930 would make a reasonable exception. IF original motor then that much more the better (thus higher value).

• 2 months later...