1936 Chrysler Airstream - $25K Southern Oregon

Looks very nice! It's been for sale for a while so they might be flexible. I doubt the military provenance...much more likely a'36 color that was similar.

https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/d/grants-pass-1936-chrysler-airstream/7482972947.html

Totally stock condition except for original paint color. This coupe was originally painted in a military paint color.
(Olive Drab). This really makes this car very rare! Typical staff cars were 2 or 4 dr sedans, not business coupes!
I purchased the coupe in the condition that is in today. It’s really a time capsule because of the condition that it is in.
The mileage on the speedometer reads just over 36K. Judging by the overall condition, I think that this is the total mileage
 The interior is really fantastic, runs and drives excellent! I have owned it for just over 3 years. It used to live in Montana. I had new white wall tires put on, rebuilt the carburetor, replaced all of the fluids (Transmission, rear end, Brake fluid, Radiator etc…) It’s really an amazing car for its age!!!! Clean title and because of age issues, I am letting it go.
Thanks for looking!!!! Leave message, I will return your call  (541) 659-2996

100p0p_1ipLsxcdjPEz_0jm09p_600x450.jpg00s0s_63pPeP9GT0Kz_0jm09p_600x450.jpg00r0r_9SHtEBNRatdz_0ww0fO_600x450.jpg00n0n_3RfXR7IKLSpz_0ww0fO_600x450.jpg00W0W_hkUoRvxq3eez_0ww0fO_600x450.jpg

• Like 6

I just noticed that this coupe has an overdrive! That's wonderful news. Coupes came with 3.90 rear ends, as a rule, but the addition of an overdrive makes this a freeway speed car for sure. Also, I'm bit of an idiot for complaining about the snow tires. They've been replaced -- as the ad says.

Love the first picture (front 3/4 view). But love is lost when one opens the hood; what happened? Leave off the rear spats!!  I don't know the wood content nor the values of these cars!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deac said:

Love the first picture (front 3/4 view). But love is lost when one opens the hood; what happened? Leave off the rear spats!!  I don't know the wood content nor the values of these cars!

Almost zero wood. Not even in the roof. I don't think it would take a lot of effort to paint the firewall properly, or at least good enough. Geez, if this had a rumble seat, I'd be sending a down payment right now.

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Almost zero wood. Not even in the roof. I don't think it would take a lot of effort to paint the firewall properly, or at least good enough. Geez, if this had a rumble seat, I'd be sending a down payment right now.

This car is very alluring especially after your 'zero wood' comment! But if it is in the condition that we perceive from the photos is it fairly priced?

Edited by deac (see edit history)

2 hours ago, deac said:

This car is very alluring especially after your 'zero wood' comment! But if it is in the condition that we perceive from the photos is it fairly priced?

I just don't know what to say. I think that it's a least close to fairly priced. The thing about it is that being a coupe it's in that "V8 crate engine" category. Some of those guys will pay quite high if a car strikes their fancy. I value Chrysler products because of their qualities such as hydraulic brakes and no-wood bodies. I value this particular Chrysler because it has independent front suspension, which Dodge and Plymouth didn't and an overdrive transmission.  Also, the Chrysler line had the largest of the four flathead engines that the corporation offered. This particular Chrysler is an "Airstream Deluxe" because it has the two-piece windshield. NADA says that this model in top condition is worth $17,800. The trouble with that is, to a guy with deep pockets who dreams of "street rod glory", that's nothing. He'll spend that much and then sink twenty or thirty thousand into it and turn it into something barely recognizable. The only thing that you can be sure of is it will end up pink or orange and that nearly perfect interior will end up tossed.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I just don't know what to say. I think that it's a least close to fairly priced. The thing about it is that being a coupe it's in that "V8 crate engine" category. Some of those guys will pay quite high if a car strikes their fancy. I value Chrysler products because of their qualities such as hydraulic brakes and no-wood bodies. I value this particular Chrysler because it has independent front suspension, which Dodge and Plymouth didn't and an overdrive transmission.  Also, the Chrysler line had the largest of the four flathead engines that the corporation offered. This particular Chrysler is an "Airstream Deluxe" because it has the two-piece windshield. NADA says that this model in top condition is worth $17,800. The trouble with that is, to a guy with deep pockets who dreams of "street rod glory", that's nothing. He'll spend that much and then sink twenty or thirty thousand into it and turn it into something barely recognizable. The only thing that you can be sure of is it will end up pink or orange and that nearly perfect interior will end up tossed.

I agree completely, but I've never found those price guides to be much more than "ball park", and usually a year or two behind where the market is. 

• Like 1