1952 vs 1953 Buick super frames

BBman2

All of the Buicks I have seen, the "X" part of the frame is heavier on the convertible and some have more mount points as noted above.  It could be made to work, but avoid a full passenger load and aggressive driving on rough terrain.

6 hours ago, BBman2 said:

Is a 1953 Buick super model 56r frame the same as a 1952 Buick super model 56c? I am exploring the option of swapping frames.  I have a 1952 super model 56c. 

Researching the Hollander Interchange manual aka 'the bible of interchange'! I found them stating the 1950-'51&'52 frames are completely interchangeable as long as same model exactly. Put Pwr steering from 52 Super on my friends 1950 Super convert. Bolt for bolt everything fit like made for the 1950! Hooray for the Hollander Interchange manual(available at most local libraries) good luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, BBman2 said:

Is a 1953 Buick super model 56r frame the same as a 1952 Buick super model 56c? I am exploring the option of swapping frames.  I have a 1952 super model 56c. 

The 1953 Buick Super Model 56R frame is not the same as a 1952 Buick Super Model 56C frame . . . but . . . it is doable to use with a fair amount of work. Wheelbases are the same.

Here’s what I see that you would have to add/modify (noted in red) a 1953 Buick 56R frame to match a 1953 Buick 56C frame except for the fact that 1953 50-70 Series frames do not have the front radiator mounting bracket, noted as item #7 in the picture below. 

-  add two exterior body-mount brackets (#1 and #2)

-  add two interior body-mount brackets (#3 and #4)

-  modify the four holes in the two front engine mounts for your straight-eight engine. 1953 holes for the V-8 engine are drilled at an angle and parallel (not 90-degrees to frame’s center line as shown) with the adjacent short frame [-shaped member. Center line dimensions between the 1953 holes are 16 5/8” for the front holes and 18 1/2" for the rear holes. (#5 and #6)

-  add radiator mounting bracket (#7)  

-  add four lengths of 1 1/2”-wide x 1/4"-thick steel bars to bottom flange of [-shaped X-member (#8).

1-Scan-070.jpg.f3fce8a25340c0c222b0af904127cc84.jpg

Good luck.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wow thanks so much Al, loads of detail. I knew I would have to some reinforcing of the “X” member frame work, wasn’t aware of the engine mounting details and the radiator mounting bracket!  I have a possible complete ‘53 56r rolling chassis, engine and dynaflow tranny that I am considering mounting the ‘52 56c on and convert to 12volt.  The other is putting my straight 8 263 in mated up with the ‘53 dynaflow and keep the car 6 volts.  I am leaning towards dropping both the original ‘52 straight 8 and tranny in this roller frame, hooking it up to the torque tube and rear end that’s on the roller. Question, is there any difference in the torque tubes between these two cars?   I really want to keep this car as original as I possibly can.  Thank you for your help and advice. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2022 at 9:37 PM, BBman2 said:

. . . I have a possible complete ‘53 56r rolling chassis, engine and dynaflow tranny that I am considering mounting the ‘52 56c on and convert to 12volt . . . Question, is there any difference in the torque tubes between these two cars?   I really want to keep this car as original as I possibly can.   

From a 1953 Buick shop manual:  after 1953 production started, a new differential, propeller shaft and third member housing assembly was introduced on all models. 

-  The 1953 propeller shaft seal at the front of the torque tube differs from 1952. 

-  Another item you may want to consider: there are differences in the rear axle ratios between the two years. On a 1952 56C with a dynaflow transmission, a 3.9:1 (43/11) ratio was standard and a 3.6:1 (47/13) was optional. Depending on the build-date of your 1953 56R roller frame with a dynaflow transmission, the early Type 1 differential carrier had a 3.6:1 (43/12) ratio as standard and a later Type 2 differential carrier had a 3.2:1 (42/13) ratio. None of the parts in the 1952 and 1953 differential assemblies are interchangeable according to the shop manual. Going from a 3.9:1 ratio down to a 3.2:1 ratio (if your roller has the later Type 2 differential assembly) might be the decision maker. 

• Like 1

Thank you.  I gotta say your attention detail is outstanding!  Looks like I go with the ‘53 roller complete and switch over to 12 volts. Kinda breaks my heart, wanting to keep this original as possible, however to get her back on the on the road in all her glory, I gotta do what I gotta do!