Buick chassis tag number

BadGoat

Chassis serial number only, no intelligence built in.   You may find serial number lists showing ranges of serial numbers associated with model years but you need firewall tags to identify model number.   On early Buicks chassis serial number did not match engine number and chassis serial numbers were numeric only.  In 1932 or 33 Buick chassis serial number tags went alpha-numeric.  Pictures of my 31 Buick 8-67S tags, Buick model number and production year on the small firewall tag, Fisher Body Job Number on larger firewall tag and chassis serial number tag on right front frame.

BT 001.jpg

FW 012.jpg

SN_0005.JPG

• Like 1

I did the best I could in "guesstimating" with the front end spring mounts and to the rear with no load on the spring and it is "close" to 118 give or take. unfortunately this will not work for my needs , however I did save it from go to the scrap yard and will post it to see if any one needs it.    

Buick's of that era had

• chassis/frame serial number
  • engine serial number
  • body serial & other numbers/ID's on a cowl data plate

All were different

Then at some time (1938? 1941?) a digit was added at the start of chassis number. 1 = Flint, 2 = Cal, 3= Linden NY (need to check)

BCA judging rev2 pg24 1923-1937 extract.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

Buick's of that era had

• chassis/frame serial number
  • engine serial number
  • body serial & other numbers/ID's on a cowl data plate

All were different

Then at some time (1938? 1941?) a digit was added at the start of chassis number. 1 = Flint, 2 = Cal, 3= Linden NY (need to check)

BCA judging rev2 pg24 1923-1937 extract.jpg

Which shows that there is no way of being positive about the series from the chassis number, just the model year..

41 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Which shows that there is no way of being positive about the series from the chassis number, just the model year..

Yes. That list (from BCA judging manual) shows for some years, many series have numbers starting at same sequence.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

A belated response to this question. Yes, those early chassis numbers act as a basic VIN and relate the series and body style fitted. That chassis was a 1929 model 41 close-couples sedan on the 121" master series chassis.