For Sale: 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 4dr Sedan - $6,000 - Lisbon, OH - Not Mine

For Sale: 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 4dr Sedan - $6,000 - Lisbon, OH

1964 Ford Galaxie 500 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

4 Door, 289 Engine, Runs strong-solid original car. Original miles. odometer: 96000. transmission: automatic

Copy and paste in your email: 99f9c03ef47f39fa84bfa25f0819ab5f@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 4dr Sedan.

'64 Ford Galaxie 500 OH a.jpg

'64 Ford Galaxie 500 OH b.jpg

'64 Ford Galaxie 500 OH c.jpg

On 4/21/2022 at 1:57 PM, suchan said:

Look for a  car with at least a 352. 

Enjoy life.

Ohhhhhh Noooooo. . . . . I have owned many 64 Fords and Mercs.     The 289 is a WONDERFUL combination!  

Much better balanced than the FE motor (352-390)

An FE motor is heavy! it plows turns (FE cars always have worn suspensions small block cars dont) and pretty much requires power steering. A 289 car drives like it has p/s even when it doesnt.  The 289 has plenty of power to do what you need AND it gets decent mileage. 

FEs are pure gas hogs they can never do better that 8-10 MPG. (I once got 12 out of one driving 50-55 on a long trip).

A 289 can easily give you 15MPG and maybe hit 18. 

The six is also a great motor. No it is not a powerhouse. No, it will not break the tires loose. 

But if you see the 223 six as a version of the engines that were in every 1940s early 1950s car, they make sense.

The six easily pulls up to highway speeds, they run forever, require little maintenance and deliver good fuel economy. Good basic transportation. What more could anybody ask for. 

• Like 2

The 352 in my Monterey runs fantastically smooth, but I agree about not shying away from from a 289 in a larger car. My view is that if it's good enough for cruising on the highway for extended periods, it's a more than adequate engine.

I had a 62 Galaxie wagon as a teen (replaced the U joints) over and over, body was rusted , but that 289 never quit. I remember driving it right into the boneyard! Loved that 289 engine, more then enough power to get you where you wanted to go.