Wood trim removal and replace 1965 Riviera GS

AMB

You’ll have some sticky residue remains on the metal.  Use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner to get this residue off.  It’s not as caustic or hazardous as lacquer thinner and works just as well.  Plus the spout let’s you direct it where you want it.

B15737F9-95CD-4A3C-9E61-2B0DBBDB50C5.jpeg.a257fd1a645045ee07cbe8290249d81e.jpeg

Do a search of this forum to find out how different people applied the new woodgrain. The adhesive you use will depend on the material you use for the wood grain.

I redid the console in mine myself. Most of it was lifting and peeled off, but for the stubborn stuff, I soaked the pieces in WD-40, and with some time, they just came right off. I used 3M spray adhesive to reattach the new pieces after a good cleaning, and have had no problems since.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did this in my '65 a few weeks back. Tenugent and Ed are right with the heat gun and adhesive remover. I personally used the heat gun, Goof Off and a plastic scraper. Took a little while but I got there in the end. For sticking the new pieces on, I went with a flexible E6000 clear adhesive that would allow me a little time to move the piece into place and clean up easier than spray adhesive. I also custom cut new pieces from burled maple veneer. Pretty pleased with how things came out. Good luck with yours.

image.jpeg.4361f674daa164737c7c22c3951ca3ea.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wimpyv6 said:

DShoes, did you make some kind of pattern to use when cutting out the new pieces?

thanks, len.

Using the actual console pieces is easy. Some heavy paper and something rigid like a popsicle stick.  Lay the paper on the piece and use the popsicle stick to apply pressure to the paper hard enough to crease the paper. Cut out using the inside edge of the crease.  This is your trial fit. Keep doing this until you're satisfied. When you have the template you want transfer it to your veneer.  Then proceed to attach it.  One thing that will make it stand out is to cut everything from one long piece so that your grains line up. 1964 and 1965 are easier than a 63. The 63 has one piece that has to fit a curve.  Use a punch set for the holes in a 65. Even with a new Exacto blade, it's nigh impossible to cut those circles out for the screws.

3 hours ago, wimpyv6 said:

DShoes, did you make some kind of pattern to use when cutting out the new pieces?

thanks, len.

Len, I used the old pieces as a template for the new. Traced them and started cutting. As usual, Ed is spot on. The screw holes were the worst. I ended buying very small cosmetic scissors to get those holes done.