1919 Oakland 34 B asking 14,500

Not mine, but pretty cool.  Not something you see passing you headed the other direction on the road.  I like the scruffy look.  Not too far gone cosmetically to enjoy from my perspective.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1515118825447469/permalink/2817955545163784/?sale_post_id=2817955545163784

image.png.498bdb2ac951117bb90c9f219be7584f.pngimage.png.64829c35594d76c1307467032ef52d6e.pngimage.png.732a0f97bc399de2d7444fcc5e5ff86f.pngimage.png.adcf8fb7aec2a3a504a43951e86dbe7b.pngimage.png.d0fbe2c0f0555e911f24ed708b18bf86.pngimage.png.d8e9be5ae0232127fb86d0410361b679.png

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• John Bloom changed the title to 1919 Oakland 34 B asking 14,500
1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Cowl lamps look completely out of place. Truck Adlakes. The wire wheels are rare and cool !  $14,500.00 seems optimistic. The Northway 6 used in these cars has a somewhat fragile reputation.

I was not aware of the engine reputation. The straightness of the panels, the appearance of a top that seems to be usable, and the wire wheels make this car interesting if the seller would negotiate and end up closer to 10K. It might appeal to a Pontiac collector who wants something a little different to show and enjoy with his club friends. 

• Like 2

I agree John. $10,000 seems far more realistic. Here in Canada McLaughlin sold a " Light 6 " model that was based on these Oaklands. The general consensus amongst McLaughlin collectors is that the Light Sixes are not nearly as good as the Buick , cage valve 6 based cars that made up the bulk of McLaughlin sales. 

The cage valve cars have survived in good numbers , particularly the U.S. Buicks. And with careful shopping can often be purchased quite reasonably.

Other than the novelty of an Oakland as opposed to say a Buick 6 - 45 why would you pay nearly as much as the Buick for the Oakland ?

But the accessory wire wheels really are a strong selling point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I agree John. $10,000 seems far more realistic. Here in Canada McLaughlin sold a " Light 6 " model that was based on these Oaklands. The general consensus amongst McLaughlin collectors is that the Light Sixes are not nearly as good as the Buick , cage valve 6 based cars that made up the bulk of McLaughlin sales. 

The cage valve cars have survived in good numbers , particularly the U.S. Buicks. And with careful shopping can often be purchased quite reasonably.

Other than the novelty of an Oakland as opposed to say a Buick 6 - 45 why would you pay nearly as much as the Buick for the Oakland ?

But the accessory wire wheels really are a strong selling point.

Good information and history of those peers to this Oakland and some practical pros and cons.  I don’t have the time or space but if this finds its price point and changes hands, I could see a lot of fun for the right buyer. 

if this car Was at a cruise night or informal local car show, I definitely think I would be stopping and visiting with the owner and letting him tell me about his car.

• Like 1

Very cool with those wire wheels and exposed valve gear! Where could I find out more about Northway engines? The wonderful thing about our hobby is there is a never ending stream of arcane cars to learn about.

Northway built a number of different models of engines . There does not seem to be a good single source of information about them. Best to try to figure out what cars used Northway engines and research the particular cars.