ID teens touring car, please

PFindlay

To me, the cowl looks the wrong shape for a 1915-ish Hupmobile. 1915 model K and 1915-1916-1917 model N all have the same cowl. I cannot think of any other model Hupmobile, earlier or later, that ticks all the boxes so it must be something else. It is indeed a similar looking car.

161362170723c17bbac504DSC07825.jpg?fit=1

10 minutes ago, Bloo said:

To me, the cowl looks the wrong shape for a 1915-ish Hupmobile. 1915 model K and 1915-1916-1917 model N all have the same cowl. I cannot think of any other model Hupmobile, earlier or later, that ticks all the boxes so it must be something else. It is indeed a similar looking car.

12 spoke rear wheels and 10 spoke front could be a clue.  And the hood doesn't appear to have any louvers?  I thought maybe a Hudson, but it should have hood louvers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Varun Coutinho said:

1916 Russell Light Six Touring

Well, that was unexpected and not what I was hoping for ...    I have a 1915 Russell Six-30 and the original photo was sent to me by the granddaughter of the man in the photo.  He was known to drive a Russell and also known to have had one of the first cars in the New Brunswick village.  So the family thought this was the Russell.  But I don't think so, because of a few small details.  Otherwise it's a match.  So I created this thread confident that someone would ID the car and confirm my opinion that it was not a Russell.  Way to go, guys!  

My thinking:

1) It's very unlikely that this was the Russell that was a "first car in town."  By 1916 there must have been other cars around.  But it could be that he had an earlier Russell prior to this car, although N.B. registration records up to 1914 do not show him registering a Russell.

2)  Below is a photo of my 1915 Russell alongside the original photo.  Mine is the only one known, although there may be one or two stashed away in some form or another.  Notice it has hood louvers, and the location of the hood handle is quite low along the hood edge.  These are different than the original photo.  Yes, the 1916 ad does not show hood louvers, but some 1915 ads also lacked louvers (see 1915 ad below).  In fact, the 1915 and 1916 ads often used the same drawing.

3) One feature that does show in all the ads (if they can be trusted) is the embossed molding running all the way along the splash apron.  You can see it on my car, the 1916 ad (above) and the 1915 ad (below).  But not on the original photo.  

Other than these minor details it's a match, and Varun is an amazing sleuth..   I have no good images of a 1916 Russell Light Six so those hood louvers, or lack of, remain a mystery.  The best image I have is also below and maybe you can see a hint of the hood handle - appearing to be located as in the original photo, so perhaps that's it.  If so, I now have one photo of a 1916 Russell.  It was the last year of production before Willys took over (to get the Canadian Knight licence) so there were very few 1916s produced.

comparison.jpg.366ce4a9131214e86c82abbbabbbadf5.jpg

comparing the two photos - note the hood and splash apron differences

image.jpeg.579e9aed8252a460d61cb2c5261cd4bb.jpeg

a 1915 ad using the same image as Varun's 1916 ad - no hood louvers, yet the 1915 car had them.

1916RussellAd.jpg.af3668d1256360653a631359a1213761.jpg

A 1916 Russell - can you see the location of the hood handle?

Edited by PFindlay (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PFindlay said:

Well, that was unexpected and not what I was hoping for ...    I have a 1915 Russell Six-30 and the original photo was sent to me by the granddaughter of the man in the photo.  He was known to drive a Russell and also known to have had one of the first cars in the New Brunswick village.  So the family thought this was the Russell.  But I don't think so, because of a few small details.  Otherwise it's a match.  So I created this thread confident that someone would ID the car and confirm my opinion that it was not a Russell.  Way to go, guys!  

My thinking:

1) It's very unlikely that this was the Russell that was a "first car in town."  By 1916 there must have been other cars around.  But it could be that he had an earlier Russell prior to this car, although N.B. registration records up to 1914 do not show him registering a Russell.

2)  Below is a photo of my 1915 Russell alongside the original photo.  Mine is the only one known, although there may be one or two stashed away in some form or another.  Notice it has hood louvers, and the location of the hood handle is quite low along the hood edge.  These are different than the original photo.  Yes, the 1916 ad does not show hood louvers, but some 1915 ads also lacked louvers (see 1915 ad below).  In fact, the 1915 and 1916 ads often used the same drawing.

3) One feature that does show in all the ads (if they can be trusted) is the embossed molding running all the way along the splash apron.  You can see it on my car, the 1916 ad (above) and the 1915 ad (below).  But not on the original photo.  

Other than these minor details it's a match, and Varun is an amazing sleuth..   I have no good images of a 1916 Russell Light Six so those hood louvers, or lack of, remain a mystery.  The best image I have is also below and maybe you can see a hint of the hood handle - appearing to be located as in the original photo, so perhaps that's it.  If so, I now have one photo of a 1916 Russell.  It was the last year of production before Willys took over (to get the Canadian Knight licence) so there were very few 1916s produced.

comparison.jpg.366ce4a9131214e86c82abbbabbbadf5.jpg

comparing the two photos - note the hood and splash apron differences

image.jpeg.579e9aed8252a460d61cb2c5261cd4bb.jpeg

a 1915 ad using the same image as Varun's 1916 ad - no hood louvers, yet the 1915 car had them.

1916RussellAd.jpg.af3668d1256360653a631359a1213761.jpg

A 1916 Russell - can you see the location of the hood handle?

Great!
I did a web image search, but never came across this 1916 photo showing the hood latch & handle.
Very nice to know that you own the 1915 Six-30 .