Ignition key for 23 Buick

Paul S Searcy

Lost my ignition key to my 1923 Buick Roadster Conv 6 cyl. Cannot find out what key blank is compatible. Locksmiths do not seem to have code books that go back that far. One of them told me he thought the correct key was Basco Briggs and Stratton Groove 1, 1098 M - B1. If anyone knows please email me at: pss_mls@yahoo.com. Thank you.

Paul S Searcy

15 minutes ago, Paul S Searcy said:

Lost my ignition key to my 1923 Buick Roadster Conv 6 cyl. Cannot find out what key blank is compatible. Locksmiths do not seem to have code books that go back that far. One of them told me he thought the correct key was Basco Briggs and Stratton Groove 1, 1098 M - B1. If anyone knows please email me at: pss_mls@yahoo.com. Thank you.

Paul S Searcy

You will need to take the lock cylinder to a lock smith to get a new key made.  The engine number in those years no not match the chassis number which would not match the body job number.  Once in a while the engine & chassis might match, but that would be a very rare case.

As Larry noted, a good old-school locksmith should be able to identify and match the keyway, and then be able to create a matching key, or re-key the lock to a new one.

Serial numbers will not help you.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)