How does this sign work? Need help

jensenracing77

Does anyone have a similar sign that make it look like the light is moving? If so could you take pictures of the inside for me? I just acquired the front to one of these signs and want to build the light box for it. I know there is a wheel and motor inside but have no idea how it works. Any information you have for this would be great! I know they made these for the Jetaway transmission, this Jetfire sign and a couple others. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jensenracing77 said:

I got lucky and found the owner of the one on You Tube. He is taking some pictures of the inside for me. 

Hopefully you'll share that info, Eric. You've piqued my curiosity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's PolarMotion, a low tech animation method used in displays and exhibits,  A wheel with a polarized film on it, spins behind the face of the display.  On the face of the display, various polarizing films have been attached in a pattern that works with the wheel to produce the effect.  You can see the wheel revolving behind the glass or acrylic in, in the video.  This was much used back in the 60's and 70's, not so much nowadays. 

https://youtu.be/w74tXtZqDzs?t=10

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jon37 said:

It's PolarMotion, a low tech animation method used in displays and exhibits,  A wheel with a polarized film on it, spins behind the face of the display.  On the face of the display, various polarizing films have been attached in a pattern that works with the wheel to produce the effect.  You can see the wheel revolving behind the glass or acrylic in, in the video.  This was much used back in the 60's and 70's, not so much nowadays. 

https://youtu.be/w74tXtZqDzs?t=10

Great information! This makes since and should be easy to make then. One way or another I will make this work. This does have an acrylic layer on the back side that separates from the front. I don't have their pictures yet but hope to soon.