master cylinder rebuild on a 53

WillBilly53

should i rebuild my master cylinder on my '53 super with the kit from bob's or should i buy a rebuilt one from kanter?

i feel very confident i could rebuild a master cylinder. but i'm restoring my super to a daily driver and i don't won't to cut corners on something as important as brakes.

oh one other thing. i plan on overhauling my whole brake system even the brake lines.

Guest Mr. Solutions

Will

As for purchasing pre-bent tubes, have no fear!

Whilst arguably easier, I did my own bending with the most basic of tools, & if I have to say so myself, looks damn good, not to mention, close, to the originals. Only an 'expert' will be able to tell the difference.

So IMO, save the extra money...

Cheers!

If you can rebuild a brake wheel cylinder, you can rebuild a master cylinder. It is EASY!. The hardest part is removing the old brake lines from the end of the master cylinder, and since you have to do that before you send it off somewhere to be rebuilt, you might as well do it all yourself. Just don't let the end cap go flying when you unscrew it, as it is spring-loaded. Make a note of how everything comes out, and put it back in, in the same order as it came out. You do need a good vise to put it in, once you have removed the master cylinder from the car.

I have rebuilt the master cylinder on my '50, my '52, my '54, and my '56 Buicks, and I am no mechanic. The '58 master cylinder is the one you might want to leave to a professional mechanic, due to its inaccessibility up under the dash behind the pedals, although I did manage to do that one myself after buying another wrench.

If your car has power brakes, then it will have a vacuum tank reservior. If no power brakes, then no vacuum tank.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Ector, Texas

For the nut on the end of the brake line, I use a good Vise-Grip wrench on it, put the whole assenbly in a vise, and hit the Vise-Grip wrench with a large hammer. So what if it gets rounded off--nobody is going to see it, and you only have to put it back on once, and you can use a small Vise-Grip wrench to do that. WD-40 and similar penetrating oils do not work well on the brass fittings, so sheer force is the only way I have found to get a stuck one off. Again, I'm no mechanic as you can see from my method (!), but it works for me!

In re-reading your post, I guess the master cylinder is still on the car, so putting it in a vise is not an option. In that case, re-install the chassis attachment bolts in the master cylinder (it cannot move when you are trying to undo the brake line), and try to hit the wrench with the hammer from under the car. Another option sometimes, is to go to the closest joint or fitting on the other end of the brake line, and detach it there, removing the master cylinder with brake line attached (if there is clearance). Good luck. You can do it!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Ector, Texas

1950 46-S

1953 72-R

1954 66-R

1956 46-R

1924 44

A few points I would like to make.

Always check for parts locally at NAPA or other real auto parts stores (not Autozone)...as an example they have wheel cylinders for my 55 Centurys and they are life time guaranteed; they are not listed on-line but the store can look them up.

Always use the right tool for the job, in your case you need "line" or 'flare-nut" wrenches. Never use an open end wrench to do the initial loosening or final tightening on these fittings. And please use vise grips as a last resort.

This should be a steel line and nut at the back of the master cylinder so heat from a propane torch may work. Also since you are going to replace the line anyhow just cut it off as close to the nut as possible and use a six sided socket or box end wrench.

Willie

Guest Mr. Solutions

Will

Last night I saw Sears advertising a 5 piece socket set that is designed for removing stripped nuts & bolts. Having previously purchased their stripped screw removal set, I can blindly swear by it & I *will* be purchasing this set & adding it to my collection. Give it a try first!

• 1 month later...

Hey, it's your fellow 1953 Roadmaster buddy in KC.

Does your master cylinder have a "brake sender unit" on top of it with two wires that go to your brake lights? Mine does and I'm trying to unscrew the sender unit (size of a quarter) and it won't budge. If you have one what was the trick. I'm guessing by the engine slim on it that it's been on there for years. In a past post a guy told me he used vice-grips but I don't want to 'krimp' it. (Reason I'm replacing it is due to having to press super hard on the pedal before the lights come on. Very dangerous with people riding my tail - don't need that with the Flint trip on the horizon.)

Will you be at Flint in July? Driving Naomi?

hey hey hey TOM!

i have that sending unit also. i've to say i cheated. i'm putting in ALL new lines for Naomi. so i just clip them! i practically took my bare hands and bent them back and forth a couple of time and they popped. i'm still gonna have to get them off of the unit - i'll probably use the vise grips to get them off. and yes i'm gonna be in Flint! and yes i'm working very hard on naomi and it looks like she will be ready for flint. i found a very cool trans place in spartanburg, sc to work on my dynaflow. he knows them very well. he's already done rebuilding it. i'll post a new post about that separately. my engine is being rebuilt professionally as we speak. i'm very close to having the front end complete myself. [color:"red"] a fellow member has helped me enormously. his name is wayne. and he basically walked me throught major components of the front end totally awesome, i would have been lost without him.

i've been ordering parts like crazy from bobs. i also bought a new delco master cylinder from a place that had a booth at a local car show down here in charlotte. i paid $80 and traded my original. seemed like a great deal to me. i saw a couple of 51's and a 55 special. i also just got my front shocks back from Cars, Inc. i had them rebuild them and they seemed to have done an excellent job. oh and i'm offically BCA member #39536! i finally joined. and i just got my very first issue of the bugle. holy cow was i missing out all this time!

*thanks Mr. Solutions! i'll check that set out.