1955 brakes again

dlcoop

Have all parts to finish the brakes.  Now master cylinder has a few drops under it. I thought I had manual brakes but after looking underneath it appears to be a brake booster  (vaccum line to it)..  Does anyone have a rebuilt or do I just do a kit for it.  These are 2 pieces and they are not together  as one unit.  My drips appear to come out of the boot .  This only happened after I disconnected all the lines and hoses to flush them out.

DSCN0701.JPG

DSCN0702.JPG

The lines in the pictures look like copper. That is a sign someone has been there before you. Wire brush a couple of areas and check.

Maybe you could get a few more pictures and Compare what you have to other's.

This is on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/312727730996?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=312727730996&targetid=1263094004306&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9005570&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1263094004306&abcId=9300678&merchantid=7868454&gclid=CjwKCAiAjoeRBhAJEiwAYY3nDIOTdHvPxD9TYmS6ykNxHbgIewMTXwazGXaDnT2TZVXdxm2pwTlYvBoCTyAQAvD_BwE

At one time I owned a '67 Sunbeam Alpine with a Lockheed remote located vacuum power brake booster. They are fairly common on British cars. Like the Ebay seller claims, it could be a dealer installed option. That would also help explain what looks like hand bent copper lines.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So in looking more, the line that comes out of the back of the master cylinder goes into the other (contraption)  I am assuming it is a booster as it also has a vacuum line going to it.  Have read the service book  but the description to me is very vague.  Paragraph 9-15 very unclear.  I think I have a booster but not the vacuum reservoir?????.  Anyone have a pic of their booster system.  Believe 4-56 are the same.    HELP

From what Bernie and Old Tank say above, it sounds like your brake booster is an aftermarket (or dealer installed) option.  It is a different system than a factory power-brake car would have.

• Like 1

I was on Ebay last night and found an aftermarket power brake booster.  I am also convinced that it is an aftermarket or dealer installed power brake system.  Which also means that I can replace the master cylinder with a manual one.  

• Like 2

You have options in addition to replacing with a manual MC:  remove the contraption, take it apart carefully to understand how it works and refurbish if possible (what I would do :P); remove it and eliminate it; leave it alone and maybe at worst it would be non functional and the brakes would work as manual.

11 hours ago, EmTee said:

From what Bernie and Old Tank say above, it sounds like your brake booster is an aftermarket (or dealer installed) option. 

Concur. It looks very much like Bernie’s picture. Never seen one like that before.

This oughta be good……🥳