Window markings

Buick35

Not that I'm an authority on the subject, and I'm relying on memory, but I've seen LOF (Libby Owens Ford) marked glass in GM cars from atleast the late thirites. Ill bet it is in earlier cars than that and I'm just not remembering right now. Wouldn't be any eariler than 1930 for LOF glass, as I think it was only Libby Owens until then. I've seen PPG Duplate marked glass on many early 30s cars as well, I think Duplate glass hit the scene in '28. Others will know more about this than me. 

I think LOF is correct, and I think the marks started with safety glass on GM cars. I don't think the marks are all the same in the 30s. I have seen some site showing variations but I don't recall where.

Oye, now I find myself down the bunny trail, again, with Alice and the white rabbit...its very interesting though, especially the testing involved for how safety glass is specified and qualified.

The AS number stands for American Standard, and is “AS” (or “American Standard”) followed by a number indicating the position in which the glass may be used, based on its optical quality. AS1 is the clearest glass (at least 70% light transmission), is laminated, and can be used anywhere in a motor vehicle (typically just the windshield), AS2 is tempered with at least 70% light transmissions, and can be used anywhere except the windshield, and AS3 can be used in certain locations in certain vehicles (and can be laminated or tempered, and has less than 70% light transmission). There are higher numbers used for other purposes, but are not normally encountered in cars. This number must be near the manufacturer’s name/logo, preferably below it (per Z26.1996).

DOT markings - this ref is for windshields, but applies to other glass:

https://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db

Libbey Owens Ford (LOF):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libbey-Owens-Ford

PPG info, and more:

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/the-history-of-auto-glass-i-can-see-clearly-now/

Duolite Safety Glass info.jpg

• Like 1

Ford used safety glass in the Model A windshield but not other windows.  The story is an employee/friend of Henry was seriously injured by glass shards when he wrecked a prototype he was testing and went through the plate glass windshield.  That convinced Ford to use safety glass.  Dunno if it was marked but Ford marked most every part, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Its been done. Looked at a 49 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon not too long ago that had been a top level competitive show car when it was restored. All the glass in it was replacement, but with correct LOF stenciling with relevant period date codes. Went through a real-deal '69 COPO 427 Camaro about a week ago and all the glass was date correct LOF pieces, but only the rear quarter windows were original, all the other glass in the car was repo. I have a few MCOA and SAAC buddies who have repo Carlite glass that is "date correct" in their Mustangs and Shelbys. I think pretty much anything is availabe if you know who to call.