Buying a new car in 1914

29 Chandler

Along with our 1914 Chandler came a bit of documnetation about its history. In the paperwork I found this letter from the Chandler factory (now about one year old) to a prospective buyer. The first owner of our car lived in a very small agricultural town in northern Iowa. I can only image that in 1914 he saw very few new cars. I wonder what other factories he might have written to in order to do his shopping. In any case it seems he followed through and took the factory's advise and made the trip to the local Chandler dealer to purchase the car he would hold onto for the next 40 or so years. For some reason he drove the car very few miles and at some point put it up on blocks and turned the motor over every so often. I am so thankful for his care during his ownership and the sense to pass along the history of the car to future owners.

img20220227_09063534.JPEG

• Like 15

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thank you! You are very lucky to have that original piece of history to go along with your car. Can we see some photos of the car, and more history? Bob 

The car was sold in Waterloo Iowa and then spent the next 100+ years residing about 30 miles from where it was sold originally. The three previous owners drove the car very little and took great care of it in their ownership. We read that the third owner (we are the 4th) restored the car for the second owner in the mid-1960's. After it was best of show at the AACA meet the 2nd owner took the gentleman who restored it to dinner. He said that he had not seen an invoice for the restoration and since he had obviously done so well it was time to pay him. The reply was that there was no bill for the restoration, just the chance to be the next caretaker as he had enjoyed restoring the car so much. About 20 years passed before he got the chance and then the car attended numerous AACA and HCCA events, and several Glidden Tours. Per the plaque on the dash the car was awarded its AACA Senior plaque in 1969. The Chandler now resides with us in Southern California and is toured about once a month. It goes along with our 1929 Chandler Sedan (last year of manufacture). We have throughly enjoyed our time with the car so far, learning its history and entertaining folks along the way.

Here's a few photos:

#1 is from 1964? when the car changed hands for the first time

#2 1980's car show (age based on the Mustang in the background)

#3 2021 Lake Henshaw CA (northeast of San Diego) on a HCCA tour

Pictures form Dr. Moore001.jpg

1969 AACA Cedar Rapids002.jpg

63D2E05D-45D5-4D1D-A005-FB0419EFD9A1.JPG

Edited by 29 Chandler (see edit history)
  • Like 7