In movie with Claudette Colbert ‘’Imitation of Life’’ 1934 an very unusual taxi with strange scoops protruding

Cohiba

I have seen a thousand or more of old pre- 1940 movies.  But, I have never have been unable to have a car Identified.

‘I hope I will have better luck here with all this knowledge..  It is obviously not made in the USA.
 The scoops seem to be part of the air intake of a six cylinder engine I assume.

And I find amusing that the driver is not dressed in the appropriate Taxi uniform ~nice fancy cap. :)

This screen shot was taken from the movie at approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes if someone wants some better detail.

thanks.

DBB2DD16-5BB6-4F89-8824-7D61EFB900A7.png

Edited by Cohiba
Spelling (see edit history)

I wish it was but I owned a Checker ‘Marathon’.  It was one of their gambles into the home market for the Checker company that didn’t work.

What a tank.  It even came with the jump seats and that made me popular with everyone at the local hangout.  I could transport if I wanted eight people without to much trouble..  But, it was hell to drive especially with those tires that were undersized for such a heavy and long car.  
And the Checker car was not produced I believe in the 1930’s

Edited by Cohiba (see edit history)

I'm thinking the "scoops" are cosmetics, like the small side pipes and the squiggle decal on hood side, likely stuff applied for the movie to disguise the make. Cannot imagine a reason to put scoops like that on a cowl. Cowl light also looks like add on. Rad shell looks Mercedes/Maybach.

Here is another blurred photo of the rear..   with chrome outlined windows and specialized rear teardrop windows.

it may be a made up car as was mentioned… but this was 1934 and was produced by the movie studios that had at there disposal a thousand of contemporary cars of that era in Hollywood.

The most prestigious and expensive automobiles were purchased from Europe and used as daily drivers by the affluent Hollywood stars and moguls at that time.  There was no reason that I could think of to design a car for a 4 second movie

scene, instead of picking one of thousands of rare autos that were available for their choosing.

‘And this movie with Claudette Colbert was one with unsubscribed over the top budget for costumes and scenery. 

3DC399AD-5BD9-4A4C-9534-FE7E32B4E05B.png

Edited by Cohiba (see edit history)

The Marathon may be the car for which Checker is most remembered? But they were manufacturing their specialty automobiles (mostly for taxi service) in the 1920s as well as the 1930s and beyond.

That said, I am fairly sure the car in question is not a Checker (although I am no expert on Checker cars!). I suspect it was some available fancy open front car. dressed up for the movie (as already mentioned?).

• Thanks 1