Softening rubber parts

ArcticWhite88

Thought I would share with everyone an experiment that I performed with seemingly good success. Recently, I acquired some left and right taillight rubber strips for the Reatta from Jim Finn. The parts themselves were complete and undamaged, but as with any 30+ year old rubber, they were very stiff and brittle. They were about the consistency of hard plastic. I did a little research about softening and restoring rubber items. The method I used was to soak them in a sealed container of a 3:1 mixture of wintergreen oil (methyl salicylate) and isopropyl alcohol.  (1 part wintergreen oil to 3 parts isopropyl alcohol)  I left them soak for about a week. The end result: the strips are soft, much like they likely were when they were new and very pliable. I'm sure some of you have already done something similar but thought I would share in case anyone might find it useful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hi John, no there was not any significant swelling of the parts, however they are fairly thin. There is some rippling on one edge on one of the strips, however that was present initially when I received them. When I was looking into this, some individuals who utilized this method on larger parts (rubber hoses, etc) experienced some swelling of the items initially but it eventually subsided.  

Another point: if you do this, wear proper safety protection such as rubber gloves etc. The wintergreen oil while very pleasant in scent can be poisonous if ingested apparently. I did wash the parts after completion with Palmolive and water.  

That was good advice.

When taking these types of parts off I always heat them with either a propane torch, lightly, or a heat gun. This softens them up for easy removal.

For years, when removing the nuts that hold the rear red reflectors to the main taillight, I always heat them for a second or two with a torch and then the nuts come off without breaking the studs.

Do the same when putting the nuts back on.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1