Rotax headlamp but from what vehicle?

Jon Andrews

Hi all, just found this in the garage of my new house. I have no use for it but someone might.

I’m probably going to sell but just wondered if anyone can identify what vehicle it’s from and what a realistic value is.

No need to sell and is quite a nice thing. But if really rare and can help someone complete a restoration then that seems a better option.

I look forward to any insights you may have.

Cheers 

Jon

9BA2A193-66B3-4445-93DC-AAD79FCDB54A.jpeg

0D53B7DD-7B1C-4C58-BD42-0A8B1190DA62.jpeg

9DF5947E-BD99-4D58-B3BA-583FE0F39992.jpeg

25A3B8EF-8F04-4815-B992-1CF8FCA72DDA.jpeg

50B57FE1-D564-4A27-A670-F656553CC482.jpeg

4DAB7369-1A25-478E-9E33-2DCAE3E5572E.jpeg

Something English from the later teens / early 20's would be my guess. Unfortunately it looks like a piece is missing at the bulb holder /wire connection.

Rotax made both OEM and accessory , aftermarket lights. If it is  OEM for a specific car that might make it somewhat more valuable. The Prewar auto website might be a better place to look for a more definite I.D.

19 minutes ago, f.f.jones said:

What is the purpose of the bail on so many brass era automobile lights?  Were the lights easily removable or were the "handles" decoration?

For years there was a law that you had to carry the lamp so far ahead of the vehicle for safe travels.

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

For years there was a law that you had to carry the lamp so far ahead of the vehicle for safe travels.

Laws like that went away in the early 1900s. Long before electric lamps. In this case I'd say the bail handles were more decorative.

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Laws like that went away in the early 1900s. Long before electric lamps. In this case I'd say the bail handles were more decorative.

Terry

You are more than likely correct. I was mostly meaning the "origin" of the handles themselves. Definitely a carry over from the horse and carriage days.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, keiser31 said:

More than a wee bit off topic but that reminds me of a classmate of ours at university that asked my now wife who lived in a rural area "How do you drive at night with no street lights?"  

• Haha 1

If the lamp had any kind of chimney I would have suggested what was missing from the bottom was a carbide tank for it to be a self generating lamp… but with ho way to remove the exhaust it’s likely the handle was a decorative hold over. It would be interesting to see what is missing…

Bail handle lamps were meant to be held by hand like a flashlight for roadside repairs, or to illuminate the walk home and they are pretty common on early brass cars.