Kelly Blue Book and Kelly Kar history

m-mman

Please correct the title to BLUE  book from Blub book. Had to read the thread to figure out what you were talking about. I have a few Blue books , most interesting for research as they list a fair amount of specifications.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• m-mman changed the title to Kelly Blue Book and Kelly Kar history
1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I thought at one time they were only available to dealers.

They were offered through a (rather expensive) subscription. We think about their connection to auto dealer operations but they were also used (more regularly?) by loan companies.

Before the days of credit cards when cash & carry ruled the day, if you needed money to get by, you got a consumer credit loan on you car.

Not so much the high interest "Auto title loans" of today, but when you needed a few hundred bucks to get through the next few months. 

The blue books (NADA too) show the value wholesale and retail, but also contain a notation "LV" followed by a percentage. (LV 90%) This was how much you should loan of the wholesale value to secure your money. The older the car, the lower percentage that they would loan. 

I have several hundred from all decades and publishers. 

As Walt noted they also contain information about Wheelbase, horsepower, serial numbers and details about how to identify a particular car.  Example the serial number cut off that determines the difference between an identical 1948 and (first series) 1949 Chrysler corporation vehicle is listed, because it would make a difference in value. 

• Like 3