Oil filter

Denno

1 hour ago, Denno said:

I have a 1931 Pontiac 401 with a split 6 engine. I can not find the oil filter. Where is it please?

Most all cars then did not have a filter. Some high end car manufacturers offered them as an extra. Otherwise it was an accessory your favorite mechanic would try to convince you to get. 

• Like 1

And even then, Pontiac wasn't committed to the idea. Some Pontiac sixes after 1939(?) had a sort of centrifugal filter in the oil pickup, meant to go 100,000 miles before cleanout. There was still no cartridge filter to change with the oil unless one was added.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

32 Pontiac is correct about the filter on 1932 Pontiacs.  See the following from The Parts and Service Pointer from July 1, 1932 on Page 11.

https://pontiacsplithead.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/servicenewsjuly1932low.pdf

There were some add on, bypass filters, that I have seen on ‘32’s and I am sure they could have been mounted on a ‘31 also.  However no filter was standard on the ‘31.  The pan had a mesh screen that isolated the crankcase side of the engine from the suction side of the oil pump.  The pan has baffles on the bottom to make the oil flow around them so that particles can settle out before reaching the pump.

I have a website that I continue to build for splithead (1926-32) Pontiacs and try to regularly upload information there.  The site is:

www.pontiacsplithead.com

Right now there is more information for ‘30 and ‘32 but much can be learned about your car from those two years.  The Service Manual information that is uploaded will apply to your car although I have not scanned the entire manual yet.

Good luck with the ‘31.  Splithead Pontiacs are great driving cars.

Rob

• Like 1