1922 Buick or Cadillac?

Gunsmoke

I'm guessing this is a circa 1922 Buick or Cadillac based primarily on folding top irons and rear wheel spokes etc. Note spokes have flat spot as they enter hub. Anyone able to confirm the hub cap? Interesting side curtains and appears to have an accessory folding running board storage rack.

1922 Buick or Cadillac.jpg

• Like 1

Too small to be Cadillac, or Buick. It could be Stude, Chandler, Oakland.......one of the “off” brands. Looks to be around 1922-1924.

The 5 bow top suggests a larger car. A couple of years ago I had a set of those very heavy brass top iron fittings exactly like these which the PO said came off an early 20's Buick. Have looked at many brands of that year and these types of top irons seem to be GM affiliated. I agree that Cadillac wheels were much different. Closeup of hubcap shown here. There were only perhaps 100 car makers back then, so finding a match should be easy! Picture taken in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, pretty remote area, so likely a Big 3 or top 6 or 7 manufacturers.  

1922 Buick or Cadillac (2).jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

If they are nickeled brass castings they are most likely McLaughlin. U.S. Buick's  used top irons of the same general shape and function but in steel. The Cage valve 6's anyway, not sure about earlier or later cars. One of the ways McLaughlin turned the middle class U.S. Buick 6 into a somewhat up market car in Canada. Also nicer wood dash boards on the Canadian cars rather than the plain steel ones used on their Buick counterparts.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1912 Staver has nailed it. Here is 1922 McLauchlin Buick, has correct matching hub cap. as he indicated, McLaughlin Buick's were a high end car here in Canada, some of the heavy brass top irons I had went to a guy in Ontario who was restoring one, he only needed 3 or 4 fittings of the dozen I had. Sold rest to an antique shop picker, probably still there! Thanks.

1922 Mclaughlin Buick.jpg

1922 Mclaughlin Buick (2).jpg

• Like 2

The auction car you show has a really odd top. I suspect it is an owner made modification. Fixed rear 2/3 and removable panel over the front seat ? I have never seen that style top on a McLaughlin before. Actually when I look at it closer it looks like only the center part is fixed. The front part looks like unsnaps, and I think the rearmost part can still be folded down. 

• Like 1

Agreed! Mystery car is a 1922 McLaughlin Buick 5 pass. Master Six 22-45 Special.  

I was bothered at first by posted suggestions, mainly the uniquely carved rear wood spokes weren't mentioned!  Made me doubtful.   (later edit: woops, I see spoke shape was initially mentioned)

Then I found this McLaughlin Buick sales lit piece with the matching side curtain & oval window. Spoke style seems a good match on other clearer views in the piece.   Here's a link for the literature:   https://www.xr793.com/buick-1920-1929

1922 McGlaughlin Buick.jpg

Edited by drwatson
update (see edit history)
  • Like 2