56 dynaflow leak help

Hi guys its finally gotten to the point that i need to address some leaks on my 56 dynaflow. I know my accumulator caps are leaking but I’m nervous about removing them cause of the spring underneath them.. has anyone done this job in the car? How strong are those springs? Also I’d like to actually remove the accumulators from the body of the transmission and replace those gaskets but all i can find are 48-54 and 57-60 gaskets I’ve checked all the antique transmission online shops…does anyone carry the correct gaskets for the 56??….. looks like maybe old cars inc part number tsk550 might have the correct one for a 56…

Edited by 1956322 (see edit history)

• 1956322 changed the title to 56 dynaflow leak help

From my 1960 Parts manual it looks like the Low side accumulator is the same from 48-60.  But unfortunately the high side accumulator is a different part # for 55 and 56.   See the pictures below.

If I read the book right and you concur with that opinion what you could do is order up the 48-54 gasket set, see if you can find similar gasket material at your local parts store and then cut your own gasket for the high side accumulator.  

As for the leak, be sure it is the bottom bolt on the accumulator that is leaking and not just a leak from the gasket dripping down the unit.  But if you do have to open the accumulator the first picture shows the springs you will find inside.  And note that none of the springs appear to be interchangeable between the two accumulators.  If you have sufficient room to work under the car I do not see any reason this cannot be done while the trans is in the car. But please note that Isay that having not had the experience of doing this myself. 

Please report back on your experience though. 

20220114_150404.jpg 

20220114_150438.jpg

20220114_150938.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve had good luck with fatsco in the past but it doesn’t look like they have these..i think I’ve found them in a kit now my main concern is how strong those springs are lol.. they don’t look too bad but…lol thanks johnd1956 for that break down it was helpful.

• Thanks 1

The listing for Dynaflow gasket kit is group # 4.005 part # 1392462 fits 1955 and 1956 only, I have the break down of part numbers in the kit if you need it. The Buick Farm has 3 kits.

3 hours ago, 1956322 said:

Hey johnd1956…does your book happen to show the gasket mating surface of the high pressure accumulator?? Or maybe the gasket itself?? I think i found a kit that has it but the vendor claims it doesn’t come with it.

I sent all the book showed. 

JohnD1956,

Maybe the 1960 Buick master parts chassis manual is different then the 1958 I was using? In 1958 in the illustration index under group 9.000 - miscellaneous body - chassis, at the very last (bottom) was kit section page number listing, and the alphabetical index listing under kit listing for each kits (long list) for each one. I hope this helps.

Bob

2 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

JohnD1956,

Maybe the 1960 Buick master parts chassis manual is different then the 1958 I was using? In 1958 in the illustration index under group 9.000 - miscellaneous body - chassis, at the very last (bottom) was kit section page number listing, and the alphabetical index listing under kit listing for each kits (long list) for each one. I hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks Bob.  This parts manual also has a kit listing.  I did not notice the gaskets as being part of a kit though.  In my illustration portion there is a section number and then under that section I saw the part numbers. But I am going to look at it again tomorrow.  

• Thanks 1

JohnD1956,

In my parts book for 1958, page # 4K has the pictures of the kit, and page 20K has the part number for kit, and breakdown of each part in the kit, if you have any questions let me know if I can help, maybe someone removed pages from your book?

Bob

list of GASKETS: 1337791 valve body plate, 1168619 servo body spacer plate, 1333649 valve body plate,1338170 rear pump plate,1168620 reaction shaft flange, 1166083 accumulator body (HIGH), 1166570 accumulator body (LOW), 1133485 X 2 accumulator body cap, 13333701 trans case oil pan, 1166084 high accumulator control valve, 1133718 X 2 transmission bearing retainer, 1166085 transmission control valve, 1169522 brake band adjustment cover, 1166177 front pump cover, 

next SEALS: 1171657 front pump oil, 1166026 high accumulator control valve

I hope this helps

Bob

• Thanks 1

The springs are not very strong and compress pretty easily to answer your question. I rebuilt my 55 dynaflow - never did a transmission before in my life. Mudbone had some great videos when he rebuilt his and they were very helpful. Call the guys at FATSCO about the gaskets and confirm - they were of great help to me. The kits have multiple gaskets for some of the different transmission parts. It's critical you compare the existing gasket you take off, to match up with the right one in the kit, since there were some different set's. Also, one of the accumulators has a check ball, held in with a small spring, that will fall out as soon as you take the gasket off - be prepared. I think it was the high accumulator but, check the diagram JOHND1956 sent and reference "Z" for the ball and "AA" for the tiny spring. Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well guys it looks like a domesday situation for me.. I’m guessing front seal is shot.. this pic is after a few minutes of running.. it slowed way down after running a bit but obviously this is a problem.. the thing that is throwing me off is it’s quickly building up and running down the bellhousing where it mates with the engine.. about halfway up on the driver side..i can’t see anything on the outside that would cause it to leak there.. I’m guessing it’s throwing fluid and building up there and leaking down???

8420354B-F5A8-43FA-8286-92A74D6A710D.jpeg

Could be the front seal between the torque converter and the trans BUT being thrown around by the torque converter indicates to me that it is the torque converter cover gasket.  If you are prepared to throw in the towel then I'd take a chance and drop the front inspection plate, where you can then get access to the bolts holding the torque converter cover on, and re torque those.  Worth a try at least

Do what JohnD1956 suggested first, then if you still have leak try this, sometimes if car has been sitting long time, when you start it up, the seal sitting in one position for a long time does not sit like it should to seal up, try driving to get it nice and warm several times, each time letting it cool down in between. If you have to remove transmission, mark and index on the flywheel and torque converter so it goes back in same position, ( possible vibration if you don't). If you have to replace front pump seal (torque converter seal) part # 1182111 fits 1948 thru 1960, you should also replace large o'ring for converter cover # 1192094 fits 1953 thru 1957, and MOST importantly bushing (bearing) # 1168222 fits 1956 thru 1960 for input shaft, let us know how it works out.

Bob

• Like 2

I have a feeling it’s the o ring on what I’ll call the input shaft bearing retainer..i think it’s leaking on that one side and running down the bell housing.. you can see it running down about halfway up on the driver side.. that red line shows up real quick after wiping down

You have it almost high enough to pull the transmission right now so go ahead and do that.  Before you do pull the pan to see what condition the rest of the transmission is in and do the pressure test as outlined in your service manual.  I did mine a few years ago and fixed a massive leak.  https://forums.aaca.org/topic/321917-55-dynaflow/#comment-1869555.  

Any thoughts.. or any luck on stop leak.. looking at one from crc called trans x in a blue bottle…I’m the first guy to jump up and down against any stop leak but I’m kinda in a bad position to actually repair it and this stop leak is very thin not some thick goopy stuff