Generator flex coupling for 1925 Kissel

DBKissel

Hi all,

I had my Delco generator rebuilt and now find that I should have planned ahead to secure a replacement belted coupler [no sense doing all that without improving the drive].  I am hoping someone can point me to a supplier of this type material.   The coupler belting is about 1/4 inch thick and is oval.  Apx 3.25 wide X 2.75.  I am sure I will need to cut it myself and punch or drill holes.  I just need a source for the material.  Any help is appreciated...

IMG_1242.JPG.0584dd16a85178ef126cc73c6a72ecc7.JPG1102255605_25distypix_3.JPG.d1ba962eb0a607fde0e874dcbcee50bf.JPG

2 minutes ago, DBKissel said:

Hi all,

I had my Delco generator rebuilt and now find that I should have planned ahead to secure a replacement belted coupler [no sense doing all that without improving the drive].  I am hoping someone can point me to a supplier of this type material.   The coupler belting is about 1/4 inch thick and is oval.  Apx 3.25 wide X 2.75.  I am sure I will need to cut it myself and punch or drill holes.  I just need a source for the material.  Any help is appreciated...

IMG_1242.JPG.0584dd16a85178ef126cc73c6a72ecc7.JPG1102255605_25distypix_3.JPG.d1ba962eb0a607fde0e874dcbcee50bf.JPG

Try here.

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/steering-coupler-assembly/p/dorman-help-steering-coupling-disc-kit-31000/730051_0_0?cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:10574827360&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5aWOBhDMARIsAIXLlkfGvEpVA6tpKvw1dhuJZwR3EHco7YsbxZDCv5E8TkrqBhmYpibpxb4aAtUWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

There are companies that sell "industrial belting" for machinery uses (conveyor belts for example), various widths, 3" wide is common, I bought some 1/4"-5/16" thick such multi layered material to make mounting pads recently for my 1931 Chevrolet and 1931 Chrysler. I think local supplier was "Stellar Industries", might be a multi-national company. Very tough though flexible stuff. Probably give you a scrap for change. I used a good hole punch to make holes where I needed.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

Looks like someone made a new pump shaft a bit too long.....the hardy drive disk is offset way too much.......they shouldn’t be trying to take up that much offset. You can use rubber or leather......I made these myself in under an hour........the rubber ones on eBay are made by my old shop.......

7556A8E7-3E2F-405E-BF93-7B52F92F6F18.png

81E18876-A25D-4F1F-91B4-E4AADA9D555B.png

I know nothing about this model car, but I have been around a lot of flex couplers in industrial settings. I have NEVER seen any with more than about 1/8 inch of offset. The offset you show will apply a lot of unwanted load to the shafts and reduce bearing life tremendously. I would look things over to see if something can be changed to make the coupling offset 0 or very close. The reason for these couplers is to compensate for SLIGHT imperfections in shaft alignment. If the shafts are way out there are other problems!  ED is 100% right and he may be able to point out the issue in detail. Research before cutting metal. You cab take it away, but adding is much harder :) .

• Like 1

Appears to me the "offsets" are due to extra washers/spacers being added at some point for no obvious reason (maybe to reduce vibration or make a better fit?). My 1988 Merkur XR4TI had one of these, referred to as a Giubo Joint, in driveshaft. To work well, pattern of holes needs to be very precise. BMW's and many cars use these. You mmay also be able to move machinery at either end further apart if any adjustment is available in mounting locations.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  It turns out the Dorman 31000 steering column coupler worked out extremely well.  [It looks like a Kissel factory part].   I only had to slot the mounting holes about 1/8th inch.  As some suggested I also cleaned up the mismatch by slotting the generator mounting plate holes to allow it to be moved back slightly so the coupler could run true.    All good ideas- thx again. 

PXL_20211229_155752013_resize.jpg

PXL_20211229_213509564_resize.jpg

PXL_20211229_213520119_resize.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That looks good!