Fabricating DB bolts

Mpgp1999

As I go through my attempts of making my car as period correct as possible, I run into the problem of DB bolts. I’m trying to think what would be the best way to fabricate and make new ones or stamp the bolt head. Does anyone have any good examples. 

image.jpg

10 hours ago, Mpgp1999 said:

As I go through my attempts of making my car as period correct as possible, I run into the problem of DB bolts. I’m trying to think what would be the best way to fabricate and make new ones or stamp the bolt head. Does anyone have any good examples. 

image.jpg

It would be hard to replicate because it’s reverse of a stamp. 
To duplicate that you would have to get the bolt head red hot and press the head of the bolt with the reversed Db emblem in it over the whole face of the bolt head. 

• Like 1

Interesting design. Quite different than the DB bolts on my 1933 Plymouth. I’d just assumed that all DB bolts were marked the same.

If someone were in the business or were to organize a large group purchase then maybe a custom bolt manufacturer could make some. Way back when I looked into that possibility and found at least one firm that seemed like it might be able to do that type of custom bolt heading. I searched again and I think it might have been this one: https://pacbolt.com/heading/

Of course there are lots of different size bolts on each car so to do this for all sizes would be an expensive undertaking. So I dropped the idea and simply used regular bolts (I think officially "hex head cap screws") with no markings on the top.

That said, it seems that most of the bolts on my 1933 are 5/16 course thread and most of those are 1 inch. If that holds true for lots of different years then that could be a place to start. On the other hand if the head design varied too much, like those you picture and mine, then to do it right would require various markings for each size which again makes things less feasible.

DB_bolt.jpg

• Like 1