Philadelphia Waterfront 1965

blazmointowowee

Hey folks

Sorry for multiple cars in one post, but there are multiple cars in one photo! I am a model railroader hoping to recreate the attached scene in HO scale. I'm good on the railroady bits, but I could use help IDing the cars. As the subject line states, this was the Philadelphia waterfront in 1965. I've looked at a ton of pictures and feel like I'm more confused than before. Any help from more knowledgable folks is greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 3.00.32 PM.png

White wagon peeking out from behind the 1960 Chevy looks to be a Falcon of the 1960-63 era. The car on the far left looks like maybe a 1962 Plymouth. The dark car to the left of the Buick looks like maybe a 1963 Chevrolet.

Hi

Interesting photo, typical variety of cars people drove then.   Any American make sedan or wagon 1965 or before would be fine to recreate a daily scene such as this.   Only one Cadillac for the business owners or an older model as those became family cars once they hit the used car market.  Even a VW bug might be in the lot.  Good luck with your project, please show us after you've finished.

Steve 

17 hours ago, TerryB said:

Car with the rear flat tail fins and two tail lights per side driving away on the left side of the photo is a 1960 Chevrolet. Two tone car on the extreme right is a 1954 Buick.

Wow, just looked up pictures of the 1954 Buick and that is a gorgeous car. Am I going to be ogling another form of transportation now??

10 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

And what year, make, and model is the train engine

From RR picturearchives.net:

Pennsylvania Railroad engine #9348, a GS-4 switcher built by General Electric in December of 1948, rated at 390 horsepower, and retired in September of 1966 after just 18 years of revenue service.

Frank

Edited by oldford (see edit history)
  • Like 1